Caribou Gear

Scope rings - xbolt -leupold vx5

bmt99

I am mounting a VX5 (thanks schmalts) to a browning X bolt. I plan on using the Talley one piece rings. Does anybody have any experience with this? Do I need medium or high rings? This is a VX5HD 3-15x44. The browning website says medium for anything less than 50 mm. However, I know that’s not always accurate.

I have that exact scope on my XBolt Stainless Stalker and use the low Talleys.

I have that exact scope on my XBolt Stainless Stalker and use the low Talleys.
Well shoot, I already mounted the mids. I was curious if lows would have fit after I mounted the scope with the medium height and I saw a small space. I like to be low as possible but I find it hard to believe that 0.100" lower will make a huge difference. Or if it makes enough of a difference to throw another $60...

I am mounting a VX5 (thanks schmalts) to a browning X bolt. I plan on using the Talley one piece rings. Does anybody have any experience with this? Do I need medium or high rings? This is a VX5HD 3-15x44. The browning website says medium for anything less than 50 mm. However, I know that’s not always accurate.
I just put medium 1pc Tallys on my Bergara with the exact scope.

I emailed Talley and they advised me on what to get. Optics planet HD them on sale for 35.00 I believe.

Kris

Same question, but follow my logic towards an answer:
Scope: VX5HD 3-15x44
Rifle: X-bolt Hunter 7mm-08

Leveled the rifle. Placed quarters on the X-covers and (carefully) balanced scope on quarters until the bell clears the front. Only 4 quarters for that. But for the bolt to clear the eye piece and zoom ring, I need 7 at the back. That means:
0.069*4 quarters = 0.2760
0.069*7 quarters = 0.4830 (rear)
(or add half the tube 30mm/2 = 0.4830 + 0.5906=1.0736")

The Leupold "scope mount wizard" recommends "BackCountry Browning X-BOLT 2-pc 30mm High" (Sku: 171123) with a listed height of 1.08" (0.4894" to base of tube).

Browning seems to list the height as a generalization: (.400" Standard, .500" Intermediate, .600" High), so I use the Talley site specs:
  • Low: .440″ Front .515″ Rear
  • Med: .540″ Front .615″ Rear
  • High: .640″ Front .715″ Rear
Here the Talley Lows are good enough and fall in the same range as the Leupold Highs. (Strange that Leupold's highs are the same as the Talley lows?)

1. Are the Leupold mounts worth double the price?
  2. If the above is correct, do the Talley Mediums really provide a better clearance or just excessive height (as a novice I thought lower was better?). Does it mean the Talley Lows will not accommodate the neoprene Leupold cover?

Last edited:
Back