Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Scope or maybe scope mounting issues...

Seems kind of strange to me that the old scope and rings didn’t need shims but switching the rings to 30mm and new scope do.
Just curious does your friend lap his rings in? I’d lap them before using a shim.

Good question. I am not sure, but I do not think so. 3 of us got the same scope and rings. Different bases due to different rifles. I lapped mine, as I always do, and no issues. Guy #3 no lapping, no issues.

I agree that it doesn't make sense that simply switching rings/scope would matter, but hopefully, Leupold knows best?

We have dozens of scoped rifles between us, mostly Leupold optics, and NEVER had anything like this.

If the VX3 had plenty of adjustment left then all he needed to do was replace the rings with 30mm rings of the same height and he should have had plenty of adjustment left IMO. I'd send it back and if Leupold says it's ok then get a Picatinny base with 10 or 20 moa, esp. if he plans to shoot out past 400 yards.

I got better pictures. The setup looks good. The first picture made it look like the bases were at different heights as well as the rings. Same bases that have been on the rifle since it was born, just changed the rings due to bigger tube diameter.

I agree with shooting it at a closer distance and using a bigger target, but I am not there to do it, and someone is "doing what I always do"......... and "someone" now has it in their head that the scope is junk. I like the wrapping paper idea and will keep that in mind for further endeavors.

I called Leupold today. Started at #43 in the queue, so I left my number and per the message, would receive a call back before COB today. Less than two hours later I get a call from a Beaverton Oregon number. The very nice fella on the other end went through the whole scenario with me. I can tell he is actually taking notes. Asks a few questions on numbers, etc, then tells me he is convinced the rear base needs to be shimmed. I know our time constraints/concerns arent his issue, but no matter, he is rushing some shims out the door.

I normally can't stand calling customer service and have never had to contact Leupold, as this is the first issue we have ever encountered with their stuff, but what a pleasant experience. I hope that shims solve the problem. I will report back after attempt #3 has taken place, hopefully with a success story. That being said, I have never shimmed a base before. Sounds pretty simple, but if any of you have any pointers or tricks, I am all ears.

Mr T- Windage was off by around 1", so almost no dialing done there. That was one of the questions the tech asked. Also, I already offered him $200 for his junk scope. He politely passed......

If I followed you correctly, the windage was only off 1” AFTER BORE SIGHTING. If that’s accurate, it’s entirely possible that he did a lot of dialing prior to shooting and being off by only 1”. He may not have. Production action bridges can certainly end up being incorrect heights, as can bases, but it’s much more common that the holes for attaching the bases are misaligned causing the need dial in a ton of windage during bore sighting, which will actually prevent you from accessing all of the available elevation.

A shim should fix you up either way, although if a lot of windage was dialed in, my preference would be to address that instead of shimming the base.

There’s nothing to shimming a base. I’ve used foil tape intended for duct work, cut a piece of sheet metal, and used factory made shims from Burris.

It could be the rings, but I suspect that his older scope had more adjustment in it than the new one, and that the problem actually lies with the receiver, not the bases or rings.

Disaster averted........

Long story short: I saw the setup in person and immediately believed that the was not mounted properly. The front was clearly higher than the rear, and this was obvious to two of us, just using our eyes. The guy who it belongs to did not want to hear it, as he had convinced himself the scope was broken. Busted out the levels, and he started to "believe". I loosened the rear ring, and the scope moved a hair on its own. I'm quite certain it even let out a little sigh of relief......

In an effort to prove my point, I switched the rings, and again, the level(s) didn't lie. New rings and a new one-piece base, and the thing it back to shooting tight groups right where you want them.

It is my belief that two different rings wound up on the rifle. The receiver was level, the bases were level once mounted, but the rings threw everything off. I appreciate everyone's help. This one had me baffled until I saw it in person.

You know, I've been reading a lot during the virus, and it seems more often than not, it turns out to be a ring/mount issue rather than a rifle/scope issue. On another group this would have gone on for 20 pages already with Leupold bashers weighing in that Leupolds haven't worked for decades, buy a Nightforce, etc. Thanks for the informative post.

I've had a scope with crosshairs out alignment. Took a couple dozen shots and they disappeared altogether. Not sure how that happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back