Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Scope mounting recommendations for Browning X Bolt Long Range

Dakota79

For those of you that have a Browning X Bolt Long Range rifle what did you use to mount you scope with?

Did you use the rail or the base/rings from Browning?

I have never used a rail before. Is there an advantage going one way or the other?

The scope will be a Leopold VX 5HD 3–15x44 CDS ZL2

Talley...possibly mediums but lows may work. You'd have to talk to them to confirm. You may be able to get 20MOA rings but likely not necessary.

Mounting on a rail will likely require only low rings. I've used a bunch of brands. Leupold's fit my price range with comfort in knowing the brand

I have two X-bolts both with that exact scope. Neither is Long Range though. One Hell’s Canyon and one Western Hunter. On the short action I just used the Talley lows for xbolts with the 4 bolt pattern. Love it but it is very tight clearance between the bell and barrel. On the long action I had to use a rail with some lower rings. I couldn’t get the eye relief close enough with that long bell on the scope. The front ring overhangs the ejection port some. YMMV. I got a burnt bronze rail so it looks nice still.

Has anybody tried these that Browning recommends?

I’d be very curious if these are made by Talley. They look identical to the Talleys I have, and I know Talley has been already making burnt bronze ones for several years.

Has anybody tried these that Browning recommends?

Those are the rings I used on my x-bolt with a Leupold scope. I figured given the 4 screw mounting system, who better to machine the rings for a browning than, well browning. They’ve been great so far. 3 years. It’s not a long range though. 30-06 white gold medallion

Here is the Talley lows on my short action with that same scope. The clearance is more than I remembered. I don’t know how much thicker the Long Range barrel is. You can also see how close the bell and front ring are.
F637B29D-9DDF-40D7-A424-69F311FB81A4.jpeg4BCEBECC-E5DA-4D81-843E-37201EA61AA1.jpeg

Yeah, I’d be shocked if those “browning” rings aren’t just rebranded talleys. It’s what I’ve used on my xbolt since about 2015 without issue.

Starting over I’d probably get a full rail or a 2 piece rail (I think there’s a nice warne mountain tech option) just to use a more robust mounting system. I’ve heard of enough broken talleys to believe it happens. A rail gives you more mounting flexibility too.

Not the X Bolt, but i do have an A Bolt SSA in 25 WSSM.

As with everything that will accept them, i use a one piece rail from EGW teamed with their low Keystone line of rings.

The one piece rail is nice in that you can put the scope & rings where you want/need them. Lots of adjustability.

just looking for confirmation on my choice here. Going with the Leupold VX- Freedom 3-9x40 Hunt Plex and the talley mediums on the x bolt hunter 30-06 long action. Any help is appreciated feel free to PM thanks in advance

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back