Caribou Gear

Scope Conundrum

Mako

I've been an upland game bird hunter all my life, and this year will finally start "big game" hunting, though not too big, lol. I'll be hunting hogs and whitetails. I purchased my first rifle, a Bergara B-14 Ridge in 6.5 CM. The scope I mounted on it is a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40. A couple months back, I won the bidding on a near excellent condition Browning Safari in .270 Win. Obviously, this rifle will need to be scoped as well. I've decided to go with a more powerful scope, I think I've settled on the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. Question is, which scope do I mount on which rifle? Put it on the one I think I will be using most?

Also, what scopes from other manufacturers are similar to the VX5? My max budget for a scope is about $1500.

Put your favorite scope on the rifle you will use the most!

Which Browning Safari did you get, the BAR Safari, or one of the older Browning Belgium Safari rifles?

The older one. 1969 vintage. This bad boy right here! I'd been looking for a while for one in this condition in .270. USOG on the YouTubes had one that he had reviewed, and I had seen a couple of other videos on these, and was smitten instantly. I had about given up and was ready to buy one in .30-06 when this one magically appeared on GB. I didn't think I had a chance at winning the bidding, but I did.

I would have a hard time putting a scope on that Safari. It looks too sweet as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have a hard time putting a scope on that Safari. It looks to sweet as is.

I know what you mean. It looks so cool with the express sights. That said, I recently installed Leupold two piece QR bases, same set-up as my other rifle, so I can easily take the scope off and use the express sights if I'm hunting in dense brush. I also think I will be putting the 3-9x on it as well. I have psoriatic arthritis, and my shoulders in particular have been getting worse as I get older, so I will likely be using the 6.5CM most of the time. That said, the recoil pad on the Safari has seen better days. I have it at my Gunsmith right now for a Limbsaver recoil pad, so if that thing does as good a job of mitigating recoil as I'm reading, I just may end up using it more often.

Gas op & a good pad should be a good combo for recoil reduction Mako. Those are sweet semi's.

Really nice looking rifle! If you do decided to put a scope on your Safari, I think I would go with something that isn't too bulky. Maybe a Swarovski Z3 or Z5.

Gas op & a good pad should be a good combo for recoil reduction Mako. Those are sweet semi's.
I was thinking the same. Until I clicked on the link for the pics. When I think browning "safari" semi-auto is the first thing that comes to mind also.

I got a 4 1/2-14 for my 6.5x06 because I'd planned on shooting target's to about 500 yds. Did it too. On the down side I've never used the scope past 8x and I hunted with it a couple years and took off that scope and put on a 3-9x which I never used over 4x to hunt with! Have that 4 1/2-14 on a 243 now and not real crazy about it. One of these days I'll swap it out for a 3-9x. My favorite big game rifles have 2-7x and less on them.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back