Scope / base / rings for new rifle

lifesupport4u

Just got a Christensen Ridgeline in 300WM. I am trying to decide what scope / bases and rings to put on it.

Was thinking of a VX5 HD 3-15 with Seekins bases and rings.

What would you top it with?

I agree with checking out Talley lightweight rings/bases. It's a great setup. I have them on 7 rifles with no issues whatsoever.

I've noticed people here in the States seem to like the Talleys.
Not so much in Australia or New Zealand. They are reporting issues.

I've noticed people here in the States seem to like the Talleys.
Not so much in Australia or New Zealand. They are reporting issues.

I tried 2 sets of Talleys. Tried lapping one set. Torqued to spec with a fat wrench and had issues on a 7 mag until I put Leupold PRW2 rings on that I had laying around.

So many people swear by them, but also have read a few stories - broken scope, Talley telling people to put silicone between the scope and rings to stop slippage- who knows if these are true but with my own experience and some things I have read I don’t want to risk the fuss and multiple trips to the range and wounding an animal (again).

I wish I trusted them because they are light and look good

Most of my hunting setups have EGW bases, and Vortex Viper rings.
I do have EGW base & Leupold rings on my wifes Savage 110 FP.

Just got a Christensen Ridgeline in 300WM. I am trying to decide what scope / bases and rings to put on it.

Was thinking of a VX5 HD 3-15 with Seekins bases and rings.

What would you top it with?

If you haven't found out yet, the R700 Seekins base will not work on the Christensen without removing material from the recoil lug on the base. The Christensen receiver is machined differently in several areas of the ejection port and the front of the ejection port where the base recoil lug engages the receiver is different from the R700.

For a base, I'd look at either the one that Christensen sells, or another one that I like is the Warne Mountain Tech. The nice thing about the Mountain tech is that it doesn't extend beyond the front of the receiver and will make it easier to mount the VX5-HD to obtain proper eye relief due to its short mounting surface in front of the turret housing.

If you haven't found out yet, the R700 Seekins base will not work on the Christensen without removing material from the recoil lug on the base. The Christensen receiver is machined differently in several areas of the ejection port and the front of the ejection port where the base recoil lug engages the receiver is different from the R700.

For a base, I'd look at either the one that Christensen sells, or another one that I like is the Warne Mountain Tech. The nice thing about the Mountain tech is that it doesn't extend beyond the front of the receiver and will make it easier to mount the VX5-HD to obtain proper eye relief due to its short mounting surface in front of the turret housing.

Thanks- Seekins said it would fit and was hoping to use theirs because it’s only like 3oz so that is a bummer. I will check out the options you mentioned.

Thanks- Seekins said it would fit and was hoping to use theirs because it’s only like 3oz so that is a bummer. I will check out the options you mentioned.

It will fit. I have a Seekins base on a CA 300 WM. You just have to know that you'll have to match the contour of the receiver with the recoil lug on the base.

Honestly, though the Warne Mountain Tech is just as light.

Another good option if your concerned with weight is the Hawkins Precision LR Hybrid base/ring setup. They'll cut a couple ounces from a lightweight pic base and ring set. A set of Hawkins are right around 3.5 oz. A lightweight picatinny base will weigh 2 oz and a pair of lightweight rings will weigh 3-5 oz depending on the brand you choose.

Last edited:
It will fit. I have a Seekins base on a CA 300 WM. You just have to know that you'll have to match the contour of the receiver with the recoil lug on the base.

What do you mean match the contour?

I will check out the mountain tech

I just picked up a left-handed Ridgeline in 6.5 Creed from my FFL this week and am using the one piece Talleys. I have Talleys on a few other rifles and never had a problem. I'm only 18 rounds into it but its dialing in nicely.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back