Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Scent Control

MWHunter90

I know the effectiveness of scent control products has always been up for debate. I've always used them to play it safe and at the very least give me a confidence booster. Something I've noticed when I use these products is that they leave a carbon/charcoal smell behind. Can deer smell this and are these products doing more harm than good? Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks.

Since you asked for thoughts... I’m super curious to see others think as well. In my opinion since I have no sources to reference, is that it might work immediately after use as a cover up, but you can’t truly eliminate your scent. That being more true the longer the hunt.

That being said I still use various types, more to add to the toolbox. I don’t rely on it, like if it works cool sort of thing, but it doesn’t change my approach, tactics, etc.

As for whether or not deer can smell it, if you can they certainly can.

I’m in to see the replies.

Yes If you can smell them deer can smell them for sure, but would a deer smell it as a danger scent I dont know about that.
And Im on the its a big waste of money train dont use it and havent for yrs if you look up some of the studies its funny esp after I used it for so long and looking back did so many silly things
Now I wash with the same lye soap every day and for hunting wash clothes with the same free and clear soap I use every day ( thats all your buying in that little bottle anyway) but at 5 times the price
And I hunt the wind always 100% if I drive to my hunting spot and the wind is wrong and I cant hunt another stand I dont hunt! glad theirs apps for it now
Think about it all the folks that hunt elk ,mule deer ect, in the back country and are very successful do you think they pack in gallons of the stuff for a week

If you can smell it, animals can smell it. Even if it covers your scent, I can’t imagine that scent is one they would consider “normal” in most places. I think those products are a gimmick. People killed animals before all of that stuff was invented, and people still kill animals after wearing the same sweaty, funky base layers and clothes for a week. Hunting skills and paying attention to the wind are all the scent control you need IMO.

IMHO, scent control clothing is nothing but marketing. Animals smell way way better than we do and, if the wind is in their favor, will smell you know matter what.

When I was on the job one of my favorite things to do was work with our K9 teams. I loved laying down a difficult track for the dogs. None of the scent elimination products fooled the dogs, ever. Doubling back on the wind did. As has been stated it’s all about the wind. If one of those producers comes out with a product that fools a German Shepard, I’m all in.

This is all anecdotal, and clearly people tend to observe what they want to believe, but in my opinion, some of these products, if used correctly, will reduce your scent, which in certain situations can reduce the animal's reaction, make them think you're further away then you are, or were in the area a longer time ago than it would seem. I think controlling body odor is most important, since once your clothes are clean it's your body odor that will make them stinky. I think unscented laundry soap and dryer sheets are probably same effectiveness, but I will attest that if I use "scent shield bone collector" shampoo, body wash and foaming deodorant for a week before a hunt, and then just use the foaming deodorant on most the body everyday, I can go nearly a week without developing body odor that I can easily detect, which would normally be 1-2 days for me. I know it's true what you can smell they can smell better, but not necessarily what I can't smell they can't either, but I still think if I can detect a noticeable reduction in b.o. that it's reducing my overall scent "signature" in the woods. I've ended up up-wind of deer and elk many times, and more than once I've been amazed that they didn't detect me. Perhaps just chance but not sure what a better explanation is.

When I ran out of the scent shield foaming deodorant I switched to another brand that sells gallon jugs of a product used in hospitals to treat wounds before dressing to reduce bacterial growth between re-dressing, I just refill the scent shield foaming dispenser. Whether it helps that much with actual hunting is up for debate, but I've yet to find a scent free deodorant, so I'd much prefer to spend my time in the woods without stinking myself out as much as possible, and in my opinion the scent control products I use accomplish that with no artificial scent, which is what I prefer anyways.

When I was on the job one of my favorite things to do was work with our K9 teams. I loved laying down a difficult track for the dogs. None of the scent elimination products fooled the dogs, ever. Doubling back on the wind did. As has been stated it’s all about the wind. If one of those producers comes out with a product that fools a German Shepard, I’m all in.
That's interesting, you're saying double on the wind they couldn't detect the scent trail on the ground? They were tracking the direct scent of the object rather than the scent trail? I'd like to try it fresh out of the shower, but not sure I'd want a German shepard chasing me down naked!

Shepard’s tend to air scent, air will move the scent down wind, can cause it to pool against buildings as well, and then drop to the ground. Very common on a hot track to see foot prints but the dog is actually down wind of the tracks. Cold track, yes nose to the ground. In any event the dog would figure out I had doubled back and they always had a little more enthusiasm when they hit the bite sleeve or bite suits.

If you can smell it, animals can smell it. Even if it covers your scent, I can’t imagine that scent is one they would consider “normal” in most places. I think those products are a gimmick. People killed animals before all of that stuff was invented, and people still kill animals after wearing the same sweaty, funky base layers and clothes for a week. Hunting skills and paying attention to the wind are all the scent control you need IMO.

I used to wash my clothes in scent killer. Not because of the scent control, but because it doesn't have UV brighteners. Now I use a home-made soap of Blue Dawn, washing soda, and borax. Cheap and effective. The only off the rack laundry product I use is the NikWax stuff for Gore-Tex and shells

I work off the 3 S triad; sight, scent and sound. I know the scent free products I use work but you have to utilize them in concert with sight and sound. You can’t always play the wind right? When I elk hunt I bathe every day usually in the morning and I’ll use a cover scent that matches the local conifers. After a hunt I’ll hang my clothes up to air wash downwind of the firepit. Sweating is to be avoided. I hadn’t heard of Free & Clear detergent; I’ll check that out and thx.

Are you hunting in a stand with minimal walk and bathed thoroughly right before with no scent soap? May help but not much. Most of this forum is driven to Western hunting with lots of hiking. Once you start sweating, it doesn't matter what you did. Work the wind.

If you are hunting a stand, I would recommend having multiple stands carefully positioned so you can choose a stand based on having the wind at your advantage on any particular day. From reading, that seems to be what some of the Whitetail Outfitters do when choosing stands to drop off clients.

Nope. Western still hunter who cruises the timber and the brush. I don't think id bother if I was hunting out of a tree stand. In the mtns ill work upslope early morn then when the wind shifts ill generally sidehill it. Things are always changing tho and I'm not directed by the wind so much. Another factor is layering and how much gear you pack around. I'm a minimalist and only take what I need not what I might need. I don't overdress either and that's what makes people sweat like as not. Years ago I adopted the philosophy that if you think you'll freeze to death when stepping out of camp you're probably dressed just right. Been working for me over the years so ill stick with that.

I use ozone to “dry wash” my gear. I do it more to get rid of the funk and save the wear from the washing machine.

Scent Control products probably help the economy by creating jobs to produce and handle them. As far as hunting goes I see no benefit for using them. I never use them. My hunting partner uses them consistently. He does not shoot anymore animals than I do. It may boost confidence for the hunter that uses this stuff and that probably makes the true difference for hunters. If I were worried about it I would probably just rub some evergreen bough or vegetation on my outer clothing layer. You might as well try to blend in to your surrounding and smell like their food source.

Back