Saving the "Hoodoos", the Sierra Club In Action

Mustangs Rule

One summer, then the next summer about 45 years ago, I visited some friends in British Columbia, Canada. They were all very active outdoors men and women. We hiked glaciers, mountains, kayaked rivers.

One place there was this weird, spooky, landscape,eroded down to these fins and narrow ridges. They were officially called the “Hoodoos”.

Years later I was living in a remote area of California. Hard to call any place there truly remote with 39,000,000 people.

There were a whole series of very dry eroded big sandy canyons. They reminded me of those eroded areas in British Columbia so I called those eroded canyons, “The Hoodoos” and the name stuck with locals.

It was one of my regular areas to hunt and get a few mountain quail. There were lots of Pinyon Pine trees and the pinyon pine nuts were a favored food of Mountain Quail. Pinyon pine nuts are so sweet. Not at all pitchy like the ones bought in stores. These birds were so sweet too.

In a sporting goods store in the nearest big city, they had lots of game animals mounted. The mountain quail they had mounted there seemed simply enormous compared to the ones I was taking.

I asked about that and the old timers said that they were simply too over-hunted to get big, just like fish in a stream or deer. The old store owner said that not only were they much bigger back then but there were so many more of them

These Hoodoos were all on National Forest land and looked like a sandy wasteland. They became a favorite area for off road vehicles. Without stressing or stretching you imagination too much you can image what the entire area looked like. In the distance it was beautiful, up close it was one trashy campsite after another, Any steep slope was cut up where off road vehicles tried to drive as high as possible. Of course extreme erosion followed.

There was a push by the Sierra Club to get it officially designated as wilderness, solely to keep out the off roaders. That wilderness designation was the only tool they had to keep them out.

Eventually the environmentalists prevailed and it was mostly designated as wilderness

The trash was cleaned up, vehicle caused erosion was mitigated and after the word got out that heavy fines were being levied for off road vehicle violations, “ The Hoodoos” were left in peace.

I was upset about not being able to use my Toyota Land Cruiser there myself,,,and I felt that designating such a place as wilderness was a waste, a trick,,,what good would it do, the place had been so beat up.

I stayed away from there for several years, then one day I drove to the wilderness boundary and grumbled as I was hiking up a wash that I and everybody else used to drive on.

By a little creek in the sand I saw lots tracks of mountain quail,,,the tracks seemed really big. I lost them quickly on dry ground but took a sagebrush covered ridge up to a small grove of Pinyon Pine trees dropping nuts. This grove was once a place where off roaders camped, drank beer, shot up their beer and soda cans,,,and bottles and often let their city dogs run around,

I recall more than once seeing fully loaded “pampers” stuck under rock in that creek

On the way up, real close to me, like virgin birds, I flushed two mountain quail,,,,in that first micro-second somethings seemed wrong,,,,they seemed too big,,,were they chuckers ???? but chuckers were not here.

I was carrying a side by side Ithaca SKB in 20 gauge. Truth be known I am a very poor wing shot.

Much to my total surprise I did a double, the first of my life, a hard double too, as one flushed forward and at my shot a holder flushed behind me.

I was amazed, at my shooting and at how huge these mountain quail were. More hunting trips there later,,,,walking past where I and every body else once drove, showed that there were now plenty of huge quail where once there were just a few small ones,

Left in peace the deer came back too. The following year I took one on a muzzle loader tag. Of course I had to hike in, but I shot a decent forkhorn,,,where once there were none.

This is going back to the mid 1990’s. I used to have a business and live in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I also had a piece of property in NW Wyoming. My plans were to retire there, build a small home and hunt and fish my golden years away.

There was decent mountain trout stream west of Laramie that I went to on weekends a few times each summer. It was on National Forest Land. I could see where when the water was low in the fall, a few elk hunters would drive across the creek and go up this “way steep” mountain side. No big deal I thought.

As the years went by it got more and more use. If I was looking for somebody to blame, there is an auto mechanic tech school and a college nearby. Lots of kids who love their 4x4 rigs, who knows ?

Anyway, the area was taking some real hard off road hits. There were signs of course saying no off road use, but they seemed totally ignored. Rules without consequences are merely suggetsions.

Over in the other corner of the state the fracking boom was happening. Roads were being cut in everywhere. The rough necks working the drilling rigs had money flowing out of their pockets and there was a boom and bust mindset. Lots more 4x4 use was happening.

Some of the hunting quad rigs looked like they came out of the movie “Mad Max”, with rests for some serious long range rifles. They changed the big game hunting game out in the flats and in the foothills of the mountains.

Anyway, the area was taking some real hard off road hits. There were signs of course saying no off road use, but they seemed totally ignored. Wyoming is not known for regulations.

Between this state and the one I described in my first post above, I saw both ends of the regulation, and no regulation mindset.

“Rules without consequences are merely suggestions.” This is so true.
There are many indicators that a system, be it a classroom or a country, is in deep trouble. One is when rules can be broken without consquence,,,,and another is when people who have broken no rule suffer consequences as if they had.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back