Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Savage 30-06 Used

Ttannahill14

So my local gun shop had a used Savage 111 in 30-06 show up yesterday. Gun's in great shape mechanically other than the pervious owner took a home made camo paint job to the gun and it looks awful.

Question 1: a home done crappy paint job couldnt affect the mechanics of the firearm... right?

Question 2: any way to remove that paint? either myself or a professional do it.

It's pretty fair price. Would love to pick up a 30-06 that's the one basic rifle I'm still missing.

To answer your questions:

A home done paint job wont really affect anything, it may add a gram or two to the weight but its not significant. It could hurt it if its painted on the bolt etc, but i'd home nobody is that slow. You could easily strip the paint off the metal by leaving it in vinegar for a few hours, I have painted guns in the past with an airbrush and they work just as good now as they did before. You could strip the paint using a thinner, although it might discolor the plastic underneath, but whats worse, a bad paint job or some discolored plastic? You could wrap it as well.

If the stock is painted and its the plastic stock i'm sure you can replace it easily enough, ebay etc or buy something from boyds if you wanted laminate.

I'd say grab it.

If the price is right, go for it. Chances are, being a 30-06, the barrel is not going to be shot out. The paint job is totally irrelevant. You can easily strip it and make it whatever color you want.

Savage rifles are great shooters and you cannot go wrong-as long as you do not over-pay for it. Check on-line and find out what a new one is worth and work from there.

I once bought a Savage 3006 it was painted like a World War II battleship ugly butt shot great. If the price is right by it.

Back