MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Savage 110 Storm, 280ai questions

chevyman181

Hello all,

I've got a few questions. I have a stock Savage 110 Storm with about 600rds through it. I'm thinking about a new stock for it and looking for ideas. If it's not to heavy or spendy, I'd like a folding stock but I'm open to options. I'm also interested in what barrels folks are using? Accuracy has been up and down with this rifle, the First 300 or so rds it like 162eldx and then they went to crap, then it liked 168ablr for 200 or so rds and now I'm in load development again. The 168 vlds are showing promise but if the don't work out. I might go a head and get a new barrel.

If anyone is shooting this same set up, I'd be interested to hear what loads you're shooting.

Thanks

I have this exact rifle and just finished my load development on it. I ended up with 143gr Hammer Hunters over 58gr of RL23 going 3040fps. Nosler brass and mag primer.

It also shot factory Nosler Trophy ammo very well. 140gr Accubonds.

Have you tried a lighter bullet? Wonder if the 1:9 may like them better.

I have this exact rifle and just finished my load development on it. I ended up with 143gr Hammer Hunters over 58gr of RL23 going 3040fps. Nosler brass and mag primer.

I've tried the 154sst and 150 eldx and lrab. I have a few other lighter bullets on order. The 154sst shows a little promise.

Savage factory usually is a 1:9.5 twist.
Chevymans chosen bullet weights should shoot just fine.

My curiosity is why a proven load would decide to go away?

Significantly different setup, but my 280AI is about .65 MOA with 154gn Hornady Interbonds pushed by H4831. MV is about 2950fps. (Have to check on the charge weight, can't remember off hand.)

And if you're don't want to spend a ton on a stock, I kind of like Hogue Overmolded for a relatively inexpensive aftermarket stock. Not sure they make them for a Savage 110, but seems like they would.

I don't want to be the guy that derails the thread.... but I had something similar happen to me. I spent a lot of time and money changing things an it wasn't the bullet or load development.
At 600 rounds and the price of components I would start with a thorough inspection of the scope for any loose screw at base or rings, then a serious barrel clean or even better a look with bore scope.
Then examine your process of brass prep and reloading.
If you were happy with the initial load, I would be surprised if the accuracy just suddenly went downhill if everything else stayed consistent.

Yeah, idk, I cleaned the rifle with different recipes, torqued and retorqued everything, changed scopes. Reworked the loads several times. I'm not sure.

Yeah, idk, I cleaned the rifle with different recipes, torqued and retorqued everything, changed scopes. Reworked the loads several times. I'm not sure I'm

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back