Yeti GOBOX Collection

Savage 110 High Country

SPDSpappy

I bought a Savage 110 High Country in .300 Win Mag this past March with a VX-5HD scope and hunted with it 2nd season in CO for mule deer, antelope, and elk. This thing weighs a ton and the Leupold carbon fiber tripod and Triclawps was having a hard time keeping it steady. I'm changing to a different tripod and head, but was wondering what folk's thoughts are on changing to a carbon fiber barrel. One of the things I love about this gun is it has almost zero felt recoil and I don't want this to start kicking like my .30-06 did out of the box...

The reason this rifle shoots so soft for you is the heavier weight coupled with a muzzle brake. If you’re not wanting a higher powered round(.300win mag) to recoil as much as a lower powered round (.30-06) I wouldn’t necessarily want to make it lighter. Of course this is a generalization as there are other considerations that will affect felt recoil. Unless you know the muzzle brake will be enough to tame the recoil of the win mag down to a comfortable level for you, I’m not so sure I’d be taking weight away from this rifle.

I think this rifle with the way it’s constructed would be a lot better for felt recoil than the 114 Classic in .30-06 I’m comparing it to. Yes, I do have the same concerns though. I’m not sure how good the muzzle breaks are on the major carbon fiber barrel manufacturers.

You could just go buy a 110 ultralight and screw on a aftermarket brake. almost the same the price it would cost you to change to a carbon fiber barrel. I have both guns. Or you could sell the high country and put the extra money and go buy a CA ridgeline. Got one of those too. If it were me I would do that before putting a 800 barrel on a high country.

You could just go buy a 110 ultralight and screw on a aftermarket brake. almost the same the price it would cost you to change to a carbon fiber barrel. I have both guns. Or you could sell the high country and put the extra money and go buy a CA ridgeline. Got one of those too. If it were me I would do that before putting a 800 barrel on a high country.
I had thought about getting the ultralight... I just have a hard time getting rid of any guns or buying one replicating something I already have. This being said, I’m getting the RMEF Weatherby since I just did a RMEF Life Membership. Selling the 110 High Country may be the way to go at this point... As for the $800 barrel, I thought when I researched the widely known/used barrels for 110’s, they were only around $400. Maybe you’re including install?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back