Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sampler pack question

Blaser270

Precision Reloading.com has sampler packs of bullets in packs of 12. Can you learn anything from 12 shots? Looking for thoughts on how to make get the most learning from a 12 shot lot.
1. max cartridge length, 3 shot groups at min, middle, and max powder charge?
2. Middle powder charge, 3 shot groups at varying bullet seating?

You will almost certainly erroneously rule out many good bullets, as I don't think published min or mid have ever been a great choice for any bullets I have used, and published max only once I think. My current approach uses 33 rounds to pick a bullet and then 15 more if I want to play with seating depth. And that's just with a single powder. I always check a second powder if the first doesn't work. If I had to I could get something similar to my approach down to 22 single powder w/o seating depth. At 12, I wouldn't even bother. Probably would have better luck just buying a few different boxes of factory and picking the one that shoots best.

[ps my approach is 10 rounds 0.3 grains apart starting a book max and loading down. Of course I shoot low load to high and watch of pressure signs. I shoot these 10 over a chrono looking for flat spots in velocity. I take two flattest nodes and then do 3x bullets each at 0.1gn increments around the flat spots (9 + 9). I look for velocity ES and group size. I pick the best one and confirm with 5x checked for vel ES and group size. If for hunting I am done, if for target I then try 3 or 4 different seating depths 5x looking for any final improvements. ]

Last edited:
Thanks for the formula, my current one is similar. I couldnt figure a way to make 12 bullets work. Seems obvious why when you lay it out like that. Thank you again

I asked the same thing when I started. For me it was a bit too much of an investment to get a box of 50-100 expensive bullets to do testing with. I ended up using cheaper bullets and implementing them like they were intended to be used and everything worked out great. I've since been able to invest in some better bullets and now I'm doing full ladder testing.

It might be useful if you wanted to test something specific. The thing that comes to mind is if you thought you might be near the edge of stability and wanted to check that before buying a box.

What would be a great idea, though, for folks who shoot factory ammo would be ammo manufacturers putting together sample packs of different factory loadings. So, if you shoot a 7mm-08, you buy one box of Federal ammo and it's got 5 rounds of 150 Hot Core's, 5 rounds of 140 Fusions and 5 rounds each of two other loadings they produce, etc. That would actually tell you something and save you some money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back