Salmon River Idaho Mulies- Wolf Kill

Monteman11

Anyone have a reasonable feel for how the wolves have affected the mule deer in the Salmon River region of Idaho. Trying to decide on a hunt for this year, and want to see if anyone has general knowledge on how badly the wolves have hurt them. Specifically in the area of the Sawtooth National Recreation Area

I'm sure mule deer have been killed and eaten by wolves in that region. They have also been killed and eaten by lions, bears, and humans. You might call the local Bio and ask him or her about the population trends there.

Understood that there are "other" predators that have an impact. I have a call into the biologist, but was hoping for info from those on the ground so to speak.

I live just north of that area in Montana, we're in the middle of an elk study to see what's killing the elk. The lion is leading right now. Your posts sounded as though any downward cycle in deer populations would have to be attributed to the wolf. Just wonder why your post singles out that predator?

Maybe I should have rephrased my post in general to see if anyone had first hand knowledge of the current mule deer population in the region. You tend to hear a lot about wolves affecting the elk herds in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, and I am curious as to how they affect the mule deer.

Wolves have ate pretty much all of the deer in that part of Idaho, and, in fact, most of the rest of Idaho.

You would be much better off hunting in Colorado.

Good luck.

It's really tough to know. IF&G was supposed to do some studies in that area last year, but they're still working on the research, I've been told. There is no doubt that the wolves have added significantly to the mule deer's predation problems. IF&G will admit that, but they don't or can't say too much else, because the studies have not been done to determine the extent.

I think anytime you get away into the wilderness areas near the river, you have a decent chance (if you're in shape!). The population has been relatively stable there, and even trended up by several hundred from '97 to '09 in Unit 36A. In Unit 21, during the same time period, the population was steady. So any reports in the last 10 years are likely to be pretty typical.

Should know more data later this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back