Salmon Lovers, Put Up or Shut Up

a judge is a failed lawyer, who knew a governor! just look at the profession a bunch of smart ass geek`s who have to bend and twist shit to make money, i have to agree most are worthless to this country! they have went to far! tabbaco suit, mcdonal`d~s coffee, illegal`s, and now fat ass~s who couldn`t quit gobbling at every fast food place they see. PAUL IS RIGHT ON THIS ONE!

CJ,

Sorry to bust your bubble, but some of the Judges in the systems are incredibly brilliant, fair, and reasonable people.

In my town, we had one of our local judges promoted by the Republican Govenor up to the State of Idaho Appeals court. The guy is an incredible genius, and I have full confidence in his rulings. And to further bust your bubble, he was born in Mexico!
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Idaho's first Hispanic judge a tribute to the man and the state

By Stephen J. Lyons
for Headwaters News

When Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne appointed Third District Judge Sergio A. Gutierrez to the Idaho Court of Appeals this month, it was a "first" for both the Mexican-born Gutierrez and the Gem State.

The 47-year-old judge and the state that has been, at times, dragged unwillingly to the trough of diversity, have become partners in shaping a new vision for the region.

It's a vision and partnership Idaho needs if it has any change of shaking off the damaging effects of Ruby Ridge, the Aryan Nations and many other anti-diversity public relations nightmares.

Gutierrez is the first and only Hispanic judge in Idaho's history, a fact noted during his first judicial appointment in 1993 by then-Gov. Cecil Andrus, and a fact that surfaced again with his appointment to the Idaho Court of Appeals.

This is no ordinary appointment. Sergio Gutierrez's rise to the Appeals Court is the culmination of a journey that began in poverty in Mexico and, on paper at least, should never have succeeded.

The story is not finished, of course. Many expect Gutierrez to eventually occupy a seat on the Idaho Supreme Court. In the meantime, supporters expect Gutierrez to add compassion to the three-member appellate court.

"When I see folks who have a lot to contribute, I am looking through my own window," Gutierrez told me. "Their window is poverty and survival. And the laws in our criminal justice system have not given us the tools to work with women, men and young adults."

As reported by Idaho Statesman columnist Dan Popkey, Canyon County Public Defender Scott Fouser said of Gutierrez, "He has a cultural understanding most of us lack. When he talks to Hispanic defendants about what´s going on in their lives, he´s looking for things that a lot of us won´t see and might not consider significant."

Still, this is not simply a story of one Mexican man's journey from immigration through assimilation to success. The judge's story is uniquely American -- perhaps the same as our parents', or our grandparents'.

In the cities, towns and new barrios of southwestern Idaho, America remains the land of opportunities, and some Hispanics are climbing the economic and political rungs of power. But not all and not easily. If you can make it as a minority in Idaho, you can make it anywhere.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

man elkgunner what in the hell are you talking about? how did you burst my bubble? you just confirmed what i said! your affirmitive action poster child WAS appointed by the GOVERNOR! you talk crap about how BRILLIANT this guy is and then you say he`s a genius, but you say nothing that he did to prove it! and what in the hell does it matter where he was born? if this guy was so smart,why isn`t he in private practice[making million`s] so i would say unless he`s a lawdog just for the satisfaction of helping people then he`s a failed lawyer who knew a GOVERNOR! thank`s for your help in making my point.

CJ,

I don't think the goal of all attorneys is to be rich. Most of them that I know, make about the same money I do, or less. Hardly rich. I think you read the National Enquieer too much, and give too much credit to the sensational suits against McDonalds. The attorneys who go after that bullshit are generally very publicity oriented, and are trying for the proverbial homerun. But my guess is the amount of attorneys who are involved in class action consumer oriented suits is less than .01%. But they get 99% of the publicity.

Many attorneys view the Bench as the highest level of achievement in the profession. Certainly more important than millions of $$$$.

And what do I base my claims on Judge Gutierrez' genius and competence on? I have sat in the audience of his court rooms, and observed him in trials. I have seen his handling of contentous litigants. I have seen his rulings appealed to the State Supreme Court, and upheld by the highest court in the Land.

I believe he was appointed based on his merits, not based on his skin color (this is Idaho!!), nor was he based on Politics. Governor Kempthorne took heat for appointing someone who was not from his Party. Judge Gutierrez was suggested by a committee from the State Bar organization, and brought to the Governor's attention for this next level of appointment. There were many other Judges at the former level of Judge Gutierrez, and yet the Bar association offered him to the Governor, for the second highest level of Judge in Idaho.

I`M VERY GLAD TO HEAR THAT THEY APPOINTED THIS GUY ON HIS MERIT`S [MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK ON CAP`S] THAT IS A DAM GOOD THING, I LIKE TO SEE THE BEST PERSON GET THE JOB,REGARDLESS OF WHO HE KNOW`S,OR HIS RACE,OR GENDER.THAT ISN`T HOW THING`S PLAY OUT DOWN HERE IN AZ. THIS PLACE IS A CESSPOOL OF CORRUPTION, AND EVERYONE IN POLITIC`S MAKES DEAL`S, SO CONSIDER YOURSELF`S VERY LUCKY IF THING`S ARE ON THE UP AND UP IN IDAHO. BUT I DO HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOUR ESTIMATE OF HOW MANY LAWYER`S ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY! JUST LOOK AT THE ADVERTISMENT`S FOR LAW SERVICES, MOST OF THEM [AT LEAST DOWN HERE ARE PRODDING THE PUBLIC TO SUE ] SOUND`S LIKE YOU GUY`S ARE LUCKY TO LIVE UP THERE.

CJ,

Yes, we are very lucky to live up here. That is why we live here. And I really don't think the late night lawyer who will sue the guy that wrecked into you is probably too rich. He is just trolling for a case, trying to get lots of 1/3 settlements on an extra $10k from an insurance company. He is at the bottom of the food chain, in legal circles.

I have friends who are incredibly bright attornies, who don't make much money, but they fight for environmental issues, and to that, it is more important than $$$$.

Not to imply anything, but there are very talented people who take a pass on the big $$$$, and instead, pursue their passions.
Some are artists, some are musicians, and some may be environmental attorneys, some may be judges, some may be school teachers, some may be police. Again, not to imply anything.

Lawyers are no different than any population / professional field. Some are great people, some are scum. I don't know what you do, but in the various fields I am in, I find some incredibly wonderful people, and some incredible SOB's.

Cheers.

I've heard and can't back it up (probably could if prodded) that your average lawyer makes around 35 -40K a year. I don't know if that's net or gross.

OK fine Doug, I hit the median earnings by about half...but I'm guessing the "earnings" are gross .
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos053.htm

In 2000, the median annual earnings of all lawyers was $88,280. The middle half of the occupation earned between $60,700 and $130,170. The lowest paid 10 percent earned less than $44,590; at least 10 percent earned more than $145,600. Median annual earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of lawyers in 2000 are shown below:

Legal services $96,610
Federal government 87,080
Fire, marine, and casualty insurance 82,170
Local Government 66,280
State Government 64,190

Median salaries of lawyers 6 months after graduation from law school in 2000 varied by type of work, as indicated by table 1.

Table 1. Median salaries of lawyers 6 months after graduation, 2000
All graduates $51,900

Type of work
Private practice 80,000
Business/industry 60,000
Academe 40,000
Judicial clerkship and government 40,000
Public interest 34,000
SOURCE: National Association for Law Placement

Salaries of experienced attorneys vary widely according to the type, size, and location of their employer. Lawyers who own their own practices usually earn less than do those who are partners in law firms. Lawyers starting their own practice may need to work part time in other occupations to supplement their income until their practice is well established.

Most salaried lawyers are provided health and life insurance, and contributions are made on their behalf to retirement plans. Lawyers who practice independently are covered only if they arrange and pay for such benefits themselves.

i`m not a lawdog but i know plenty of them, our public defender`s down here start at about 50 k and have usualy just past the bar exam. i would defend myself rather than use one, but some are better than other`s and i`ve been on jury`s, and i have fought some minor traffic violation`s and zoning issue`s myself with good result`s [just takes some research] but i never fought a ticket i was guilty of. and maybee it`s because of where i live or my age 49 or both but i still feel that there is a larger percentage of unethical people in the lawyer field than say [doctor`s engineer`s etc.]

Marland,

Good job on the research. It fits real well with my experiences. And the other thing to think about for the attorneys in private practice, they are expected to BILL 80+ hours a week. Take those annual salaries, and divide by 4000 hours, and they don't make much more than the average skilled tradesman.

I know some that make way above that median, and I know others who are out of work, and have been for 6 months ( the Dot.Com bust got 'em). With all the unemployed ones, plus a new crop with new degrees, the prices may even start falling.

I know in rural Idaho, you can hire many attorneys for $75/hour to write wills, and do routine legal work, and for that they have to pay themself, pay the secretary, pay the rent, power, phone, etc.. etc..

Cheers.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back