Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sako S20

PaLuke

Hello, I’m looking at possibility picking up a Sako S20 in either 7mm Remington magnum or 6.5PRC. If anyone had a chance to shoot one or if anyone owns one I would like your opinion on the rifle. Thanks for you time and replies. Take care.

I have been looking at the S20 myself. Not sure how much youtube watching you do but WHO_TEE_WHO on there has a few videos of him shooting the S20. He likes it as far as I can tell. His is in 7mm RM

I have been a Sako fan for many years, had four of them. Sako does not make a bad rifle. Been using my Sako Finnlight 75 in 308 forever. It weighs about 2 and half pounds less than the S20 which weighs in a 8.6 pounds. I cannot image having a hunting rifle that heavy. Instead of that I would but a new Finnlight in a heatbeat.

Thanks for the replies. I’m only about an hour from Eurooptic’s. I’ll have to take a ride up to see them. Take care.

I'm a big Sako fan. I haven't shot the S20 but I've handled them at Scheels. I love the ergonomics, and the bolt is about as smooth as the other Sakos I own, thought the bolt design looks a bit cheaper--definitely borrowed some from the Tikka. I'm torn between an S20 in .300 WM or a Seekins in .300 PRC. I wish they'd make the Sako in the PRC.

I have the S20 Hunter in a 6.5 Creedmoor and it's by FAR my favorite hunting rifle for deer and antelope. I love the balance, the ergonomics, and it shot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with factory ammo. I picked mine up for $950 last year. Now my Dad wants one, but I can't find one for that price!

I've had three sako'a, two L61's and I thinf the 223 wae a 461. They were standard grade and really nice rifles, loved them. Got the stationed over sea's for some awfully low price through a rod and gun club there, Seem's they ran me about $90! never any experience with newer one, way out of my league for money. Had to go look at the S20 a minute ago, don't care for it at all. Not only is the stock plastic, to me it's terminal ugly, would have to go. Then that fluted barrel I don't care for at all and that cap on the end make me thing it's threaded for a silencer. I'm pretty old school. The stock and that cap on the barrel stop me cold! My old L61's were hunting rifles and both went right at 5/8th inch all the time! I've got two 243 that do 1/2" disgustingly regulad and my 6.5x06 will hang in there also. But here's the point, I'm a hunter and actually no need of the accuracy I get from these three. I have wondered about that alumimin bedding block and something that seem's to me is that that bedding may be excellent but cannot match well done liquid steel. Told you I was old! Flutting on the barrel simply doesn't appeal to me. Have it on a 243 and a 308 and soon as I feel I can afford it they will be switched out. Bothe shoot really well, it's a cosmetic thing for me. Now that barrel cap I'm guessing is for a sliencer? What is the need for that and if I wanted one, how expensive could it be to have a gunsmith install one? Off the subject a bit but I don't care for changeable choke's on shotgun's either but have two of them. bad enough I had to take them with the guns I got but had they been those extended choke's they would not be in this house! Say thois for the S20 though, slick looking action and if the trigger is nice as my old Sako trigger's it is without peer!

I have the S20 Hunter in a 6.5 Creedmoor and it's by FAR my favorite hunting rifle for deer and antelope. I love the balance, the ergonomics, and it shot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with factory ammo. I picked mine up for $950 last year. Now my Dad wants one, but I can't find one for that price!
I do not get it! I really don't. the S20 weighs 8 pounds and 6 ounces. Ok, if all one does is shoot for points off a bench, then I can see geting one, Sako's are great, but as a hunting rifle?

I already mentioned my 6 1/4 pound Finnlight and I will add in my 5 3/4 pound Kimber in 280AI. Both wiil shoot between 5/8 " and 3/4" . The sako for the first 4 or five shots, the lighter Kimber just for the first three shots.

Is that tiny increase in accuracy really worth so much extra weight in a hunting rifle?

I do not get it! I really don't. the S20 weighs 8 pounds and 6 ounces. Ok, if all one does is shoot for points off a bench, then I can see geting one, Sako's are great, but as a hunting rifle?

I already mentioned my 6 1/4 pound Finnlight and I will add in my 5 3/4 pound Kimber in 280AI. Both wiil shoot between 5/8 " and 3/4" . The sako for the first 4 or five shots, the lighter Kimber just for the first three shots.

Is that tiny increase in accuracy really worth so much extra weight in a hunting rifle?
Personal preference I guess. If you just want the lightest rifle you can find that will shoot well, more power to you.

I have always preferred heavier rifles. I'm a big guy, so what's a pound or two on a hike? Plus it's much more enjoyable to shoot. My wife had an ultralight 308 that fit your bill -- good shooter and under 7 lb scoped. But it was more punishing to shoot than my 300 WM in a Winchester M70 or my 338 WM in a Remington 700 XCR. She finally claimed my 8+ pound Bergara Ridge in a 6.5 CM and won't give it back. She wants the S20 now, but I'm putting my foot down :))

The balance on the S20 is awesome, so it handles much better than it's weight would indicate. I like the ergonomics better than any other rifle I've shot (grip, adjustable cheek rest, good forearm width). I like the integral base, threaded barrel, etc. I could go on. But its not just me...everyone that has shot mine wants it.

I've got a Sako AV that I really like. The modular stock on the S20 looks interesting.

Personal preference I guess. If you just want the lightest rifle you can find that will shoot well, more power to you.

I have always preferred heavier rifles. I'm a big guy, so what's a pound or two on a hike? Plus it's much more enjoyable to shoot. My wife had an ultralight 308 that fit your bill -- good shooter and under 7 lb scoped. But it was more punishing to shoot than my 300 WM in a Winchester M70 or my 338 WM in a Remington 700 XCR. She finally claimed my 8+ pound Bergara Ridge in a 6.5 CM and won't give it back. She wants the S20 now, but I'm putting my foot down :))

The balance on the S20 is awesome, so it handles much better than it's weight would indicate. I like the ergonomics better than any other rifle I've shot (grip, adjustable cheek rest, good forearm width). I like the integral base, threaded barrel, etc. I could go on. But its not just me...everyone that has shot mine wants it.
Well Cowboy, here is a real cowboy requirment. All jest and serious comments aside. Does the scoped rifle fit in a sadde scabbard?

Much as I do love my Sako finnlight, it has a fat stock and really bulges out where my knee is when riding. The Kimber 280AI is so lean, and has the stock design of Winchetsers first bolt action rifle, the model 54.

Enjoy your S20.

For me at soon to be 74 every couple ounces count much less pounds, My Kimber is the only rifle I ever had that I carry deep and steep, real long and still feel strong with no "bite" in my neck/shoulder when slung for a long time.

I have a 1952 model 70 standard weight in .270 that will shoot a half inch or less but it has become a safe queen due to its weight and it weighs a third of a pound less than the S20.

Well Cowboy, here is a real cowboy requirment. All jest and serious comments aside. Does the scoped rifle fit in a sadde scabbard?

Much as I do love my Sako finnlight, it has a fat stock and really bulges out where my knee is when riding. The Kimber 280AI is so lean, and has the stock design of Winchetsers first bolt action rifle, the model 54.

Enjoy your S20.

For me at soon to be 74 every couple ounces count much less pounds, My Kimber is the only rifle I ever had that I carry deep and steep, real long and still feel strong with no "bite" in my neck/shoulder when slung for a long time.

I have a 1952 model 70 standard weight in .270 that will shoot a half inch or less but it has become a safe queen due to its weight and it weighs a third of a pound less than the S20.
Don't know about the scabbard fit. I'll probably find out in a few years... I'll probably have to get horses to keep my dad in the field. Plus, I seem to not be getting thinner😆 and the idea of another creature packing my gear and me is becoming more appealing by the year!

S20 Hunter is a nice rifle. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one, but I have been able to handle one. It has very nice ergos, and the action (as you'd expect from SAKO/Tikka) is slick to operate. I have an older AV in .270, so I am a SAKO fan. That said the S20 is a bit on the heavy side. They have a different hunting philosophy in Scandanavia, and much of Europe. There are a lot of large, flat areas there and many of the hunts are driven, meaning that you are in a stand or shed and the game is driven toward you. The point being that you're not lugging the rifle around, so weight isn't a huge factor over there. A year or so ago I purchased a rifle that weighs under 7lbs, under 8lbs fully outfitted. Gotta say, having a nice light rifle is really nice (depending on the caliber), so ask yourself where you'll be hunting. If the answer is hilly, or mountainous areas, ounces will quickly start feeling like pounds as the day wears on.

I have the S20 hunter variant in .30-06. Excellent rifle. Shooting 1" groups at 200 yards from the bench. There are lighter options, but the weight means my wife and son can both comfortably shoot it with 180 grain rounds. It is comfortable to carry and balances very well. The trigger and action are top notch. I have noticed the barrel is slower to heat up as quickly as my wife's and sons rifle do. Not really an issue hunting, but at the range it does mean less cool down times when tinkering with scope adjustment.

I am by no means an expert on guns, but I am exceptionally happy with mine.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back