Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Said goodbye to a dear friend today

Truly sad. Loosing a dog is hard to deal with and a day every dog owner dreads. Six years is a short time but as others have said you have plenty of memories.

Others have said get back on that wagon and get another dog right away. I never subscribed to that theory but have changed my mind and now think that’s the way to go.

If your a dog person you need a dog and a dog needs you. Never a replacement but rather a new chapter. After years and years of not getting a replacement for the dog we had we now have a rescue. He needs us and we needed him. People returned him 6 times back to the shelter within a two year period. Just crazy. Now 3 years old, he has turned out to be awesome.

You‘ll always miss your pup but find another dog and share your life with him/her.

Many of us have been there, and know exactly what you are going through. So sorry for your loss.

Keep you chin up. The love a man has for his hunting dog is strong. Love them while you can and remember them forever. I have said goodbye to my fair share and its never easy.

Sharp looking dog. So sorry for your loss, thats a really hard pill to swallow. I've been there too, and it rips your heart out.

My once in a lifetime dog has been gone a year and a half and this is the second October I wont get to follow a great vizsla through the grouse woods and pheasant prairies. Our kids are 10 and 13 and life gets busy. I told my wife we could go a year without a dog, but now that's stretching into two. I don't have many regrets in life, but that one makes the short list.

Years ago Gene Hill said something to the effect of, "Whoever said money can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies." We are at the top of the list for a promising litter in the spring and hopefully all works out. With the leaves changing I can't help but feel like that is two years too late.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and well wishes. It's been 10 years since I've been in this position. Still no easier. We sure spoiled our remaining dog last night, so a good day for him. We're going to try out the "one dog" household for a bit, but I'll probably send my breeder a down-payment so we're high on the list in a couple of years.

Attachments

• IMG951878.jpg
    IMG951878.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 9
Epic photo, Arcola!

Absolutely amazes me how dogs and humans (families, solo, etc) build such an intense bond. I know other animals build something similar though, IMHO, dogs hold that #1 tier.

Again, sorry to hear - though I always look back with a smile when thinking of my past canines.

Just wondering what happened? Six is so young. I have been a two and three dog household for twelve years now. My first Lab in 1964 and owned at least one ever since. No pain, no gain. But the pain of losing one never gets easier. Harder it seems. If you and your wife are working I strongly suggest filling the void with another dog. Getting a second dog was the best thing we ever did ... for the Lab we already had. They can keep each other entertained when we're too busy.

Lovely photo of the two of them on the tailgate.

Back