Sage Grouse

Jamen

Hello everyone

I had a few questions for those of you that have hunted sage grouse before. I live in ND and the year my father and I were going to go out and hunt them they closed the season. All the recent news I have been hearing isn't good. I would like a chance to hunt them before one can not do so.

I have been looking at going down to CO for them if time allows this year being my last semester in college. I know it is a short season so would be a quick trip. I would like to go to MT but doesn't sound good for their season. So it is basically a broad question for those of you who have hunted them. Are they hard to find? I am not looking for specific spots or anything of that nature just would like some tips if I decide to go and do it. I have two good bird dogs I would bring with me.

Thanks again for your time and input
Jamen

You're going to drive past a lot of sage grouse in WY to get to CO. Any particular reason you want to come down here for our short season? FWIW, I have never hunted them in CO. But I see them every time I hunt pronghorn in WY.

You're going to drive past a lot of sage grouse in WY to get to CO. Any particular reason you want to come down here for our short season? FWIW, I have never hunted them in CO. But I see them every time I hunt pronghorn in WY.

Yep. I'd go to WY over MT & CO for Sage Grouse this season. More habitat and more birds.

Barring a listing, that is.

It's a short season anyway you look at it: http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_63ea22ae-f883-5417-9dfe-189a5ba90817.html

If you choose to go hunting for a mountable bird, do yourself and taxidermist a favor and get a bird a little later in the season and make every attempt to get the bird frozen or delivered as soon as possible. At this point, that is the only reason I'd shoot one as I find their flavor less than desireable.

Thanks for the input guys. I picked co because I know some people there but if WY is a better choice I am totally fine going there. I do got a guy who will mount it in line. I was thinking a yeti cooler with dry ice to get it home. I appreciate all the help.
Jamen

Oak, I have a question. Do you see them a lot or occasionally? I see that they have some left over antelope tags for some units. I would not be looking for a trophy goat by no means I'd even take a doe if I'm driving down there could bring back some meat for the freezer. I'm assuming there are better places for the grouse than others.

Oak, I have a question. Do you see them a lot or occasionally? I see that they have some left over antelope tags for some units. I would not be looking for a trophy goat by no means I'd even take a doe if I'm driving down there could bring back some meat for the freezer. I'm assuming there are better places for the grouse than others.

I have hunted pronghorn in 8 different units in southern and central WY, and have seen grouse on all but one hunt (a doe hunt of about 2 hours in duration). I have not hunted up there since 2010, though.

Back