Sad Irony

EastTNHunter

No humor in this for either side whatsoever, so please don’t take this in the wrong way.

As I read about the droughts and forest fires being experienced in the west, I’m struck by a sad sense of irony, in that we in TN are experiencing above-average-to-record-setting rainfall over the past three years. In fact, we just had massive flash flooding in mid-TN that claimed at least 22 lives (with 20+ still missing) due to 17 inches of rain that fell in two hours’ time… the area that experienced the brunt of the flooding only got 2” of rain, though, but they were downstream and had a few other environmental factors involved that led to the “perfect storm” that washed away numerous homes and businesses. Truly devastating and heartbreaking. We have set yearly rainfall records two years in a row, and we aren’t much dryer this year than the past two years.

On top of all of this, we have experienced VERY mild summers, not yet reaching 100 degrees this year (I don’t believe that we did last year, either), and having highs in the 80s more often than the 90s… in fact, we had a few July days with highs in the 70s, which is unheard of.

I don’t really know what else to say, other than I wish that we could do some weather trading to balance each other out a bit.

My three daughters head to Nashville (only 75 miles from flooded Waverly) on Wednesday for the oldest’s bachelorette party. I’m even less enthused than normal about some of their decisions....

On top of all of this, we have experienced VERY mild summers, not yet reaching 100 degrees this year (I don’t believe that we did last year, either), and having highs in the 80s more often than the 90s… in fact, we had a few July days with highs in the 70s, which is unheard of.
I'm across the blue ridge from you but all is true here as well. In fact, our winters have also been so screwed up recently. Last year we rivaled the PNW for total rainfall. Nov20-Feb21 seemed like it was one long rain system.

If you could send some of that rain north, that'd be great. Today where I am in Ontario its 111°F with 70% humidity. It's been like this for days

Mother nature takes no prisoners. Sometimes over the winter its a humid 87 here and the guys up north are below zero. I wake at 4 am and it's 74 degrees get in the truck and drive 9 hrs to my lease in Alabama and the next morning its 28 degrees in the woods.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still been plenty hot, but another example…

Just drove through Knoxville. On east side temperature on my dash was 93. Hit a storm system on I40 in town. Temp dropped to 71 IMMEDIATELY! Rain dumping buckets, trees laying sideways (truly surprised none ended up in the interstate). Inches of rain fell in the stretch of interstate that I was on in 15 minutes.

I can’t even keep my lawn from looking like a jungle due to all of the rain.

God send some of that this way.

Lol, granted partly due to my knee replacement but I wore pants (not shorts) today for the first time since April. Kinda feels good to throw on a flannel in the mornings as well.

We’ve been pretty fortunate this year, couple little heat waves but pretty decent summer and only a few days that the smoke blew in from the fires.

Lol, granted partly due to my knee replacement but I wore pants (not shorts) today for the first time since April. Kinda feels good to throw on a flannel in the mornings as well.

We’ve been pretty fortunate this year, couple little heat waves but pretty decent summer and only a few days that the smoke blew in from the fires.
Nothin better than those first few cool nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back