Sable Mountain Outfitters or DIY????

pn8hall

Does anyone have any experience with Sable Mountain Outfitters in Meeker, CO? I have a group of guys that is looking to head west this fall for our 1st Elk trip and I am having mixed feelings on the direction to go whether that is DIY or with a drop camp setup. I know my success odds are probably better with a drop camp but I really feel I could rock a DIY trip. I have a potentially good in with Sable Mountain thru a friend but dont know anything about them. Thought I would get some other opinions on them hopefully and maybe some thoughts on DIY versus drop camp. If anyone has some tips on areas near Meeker, CO to go it would be greatly appreciated (2nd Season). I got to be honest here and say that Randy (Big Fin) has really inspired me to do this DIY style. I have really gotten fired up about the whole thing and with all the info on this site and all off Randy's Youtube videos I think I can do it! To say that I have ELK FEVER is an understatement at this point!

I don't have any specific information on Sable Mountain Outfitters, but I can say from experience that most good outfitters are booked at least one year in advance, often longer. If you are looking at hunting this fall I would think you may have trouble finding a reputable outfitter who still has openings. Of course there is always the chance someone may cancel, but I would be wary of an outfitter who still has many open slots for 2017...there is probably a reason if they do.

Oh to be so cocky on my first elk trip again. I was DIY too. I wouldn't do it any other way. But the learning curve is steep. Like nothing else. New species, New area..depending on your definition of a good or successful hunt you may want to seek someone that knows both. Not necessarily full blown outfitter. But a semi-guided hunt to help get your feet wet would have been a big help to me.

I have no direct experience with them but I heard they will extract an elk by horse for $200 and are pretty decent to deal with that was back in 2011 though.

It took me three trips before I took my first elk, the curve can be steep you have to weigh your options. I can also tell you a guided hunt does not guarantee you an animal and would want a lot of good references before I booked.

Don't get me wrong guys I have no doubt that odds are gonna be stacked against me for the first few years to kill and elk but quite frankly I don't care about that. Gonna get to see some beautiful country and hang out with some good pals in the mountains. Shooting an elk would just be a bonus. I am figuring the more days I get in the field the better my odds will be. I figure it will be a 3-5 year journey to get to know an area well enough to harvest an animal. I am ready for the challenge! Just think the smart move is probably to invest some of that outfitter money in gear I can re-use in future years.

Considering this is OYOA website I can't see why anyone would talk you out of DIY hunting. Just get out there and hunt. Find a good area with lots of options from the pickup and figure out which way the wind blows. Seriously be a ghost in the woods and watch the wind.

I was lucky enough to learn to hunt elk while living in a state that has them. I hunted mz elk in NM for several years before the black cloud quit following me and I killed one. I found them every year, but could not get it together for a shot. I have had very few empty tags since then hunting in NM, Colorado and Wyoming.

Having an outfitter help you with the basics on the first time around would definitely shorten the learning curve, but DIY is more fun in my opinion. I never felt like I could justify the money to spend on an outfitter, either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back