Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sabatical - Temporary freedom

diamond hitch

My wife has left me to visit the kids for a week. My work demands haven't changed. The weather hasn't changed. I'm too old to party! But - now I can cook the one thing she absolutely hates - pot roast. A tender cow elk rump roast browned and seasoned buried in a crock pot under a mound of yellow and russet potatoes with an equal share of carrots. The goal is to cook it until the meat falls apart and the spuds and carrots mash equally together under simple butter. The marital battle after nearly 43 years --- the carrots!! To me the carrots are seasoning for the potatoes. Most of my male hunting friends express similar issues for about the same reasons. Why??

She doesn't leave often but I look forward to every day when she is gone (for a few days) to the smells, texture and taste. When I used to put in a camp, one of the meals was the same pot roast in a dutch oven. Even better flavors for some reason.

Do you have similar experiences?

We grow a TON of carrots every year. Some get sliced for sides and some are left in chunks for crockpot roasts as you describe. Wouldn't be roast without them.

Not to hijack the thread...

When I was in Iraq, one day we were on a foot patrol in a village. There was a villager washing carrots that were just picked in a canal. (Carrots were one of the easily grown crops) Me and one of my team members went over to the guy and he handed both of us a carrot and we tried to communicate with his broken English and hand signals. They were so big and sweet, we offered the guy $2 american each for a small bundle of carrots each. The guy literally started crying. We called our translator over to talk to the guy to figure out why we upset him. Come to find out, the guy was crying out of happiness. The $4 we offered him was more than he'd make in an entire year of farming. We got our carrots and more guys from the platoon came over and bought some, I traded cigarettes with him and we left. It was a nice experience.

When I was in Iraq, one day we were on a foot patrol in a village. There was a villager washing carrots that were just picked in a canal. (Carrots were one of the easily grown crops) Me and one of my team members went over to the guy and he handed both of us a carrot and we tried to communicate with his broken English and hand signals. They were so big and sweet, we offered the guy $2 american each for a small bundle of carrots each. The guy literally started crying. We called our translator over to talk to the guy to figure out why we upset him. Come to find out, the guy was crying out of happiness. The $4 we offered him was more than he'd make in an entire year of farming. We got our carrots and more guys from the platoon came over and bought some, I traded cigarettes with him and we left. It was a nice experience.
Had the same experience in Africa over fresh coconuts. Old guy went nuts over just a few dollars. Our driver explained it to us that we had just given him more money than he would see in a year.

The goal is to cook it until the meat falls apart and the spuds and carrots mash equally together under simple butter.

There is the issue for my girlfriend. She insists that vegetables retain some level of crunch to them. She'd rather throw a soft veggie in the trash and go hungry than eat it. I do not understand.

Your method sounds perfect to me.

Crazy to think how little it takes to make an impact on a life overseas. In Turkey I rented a house in the 'Vil for $3k for the year. The owner moved his family into the chicken coop in the courtyard to make it happen. I used to bring the guy fish a couple of times a month as it was a luxury his family couldn't afford.

Sounds like heaven in a pot to me....about once a month in our home, typically beer braised with a big ol Walla Walla sweet or three quartered in there as well👍

My wife has left me to visit the kids for a week. My work demands haven't changed. The weather hasn't changed. I'm too old to party! But - now I can cook the one thing she absolutely hates - pot roast. A tender cow elk rump roast browned and seasoned buried in a crock pot under a mound of yellow and russet potatoes with an equal share of carrots. The goal is to cook it until the meat falls apart and the spuds and carrots mash equally together under simple butter. The marital battle after nearly 43 years --- the carrots!! To me the carrots are seasoning for the potatoes. Most of my male hunting friends express similar issues for about the same reasons. Why??

She doesn't leave often but I look forward to every day when she is gone (for a few days) to the smells, texture and taste. When I used to put in a camp, one of the meals was the same pot roast in a dutch oven. Even better flavors for some reason.

Do you have similar experiences?

You gotta wait to make pot roast until your wife is gone? :ROFLMAO:

Definitely need onions in there. It’s my favorite part. I often do peeled whole garlic cloves as well. Prefer my carrots a little more firm than mushy, but it’s usually not worth the hassle to try to time that right, so I just throw them in at the beginning with everything also. If I don’t want to do a whole roast, will often use a few braised short ribs instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back