Running two dogs on one controller

Ben Lamb

Little chunk is about ready for the e-collar (June 1st or so). She's retrieving well, has a good delivery, great stamina and the switched flip for birds w/wing on a string. She's coming along well with basic commands & she's a tank when it comes to mixing it up w/Groot.

She's a typical lab though. A little bull-headed and quite sure everything is a game, so we need to get the collar. I've got the sportdog 425 forthe older dog, and I can add a collar to that system, which is better than having to purchase a whole new set up for the pup.

Does anyone run more than 1 dog on theirs, and if so, any tips for how to make it work well? Here's the one I'm likely to buy, unless folks have a better suggestion: https://www.gundogsupply.com/sdr-af-add-a-dog-for-sd-425x.html

1587575453424.png

I use the Garmin Alpha and use it on 3 dog.Its easy to set up and use. I use it for hound hunting but it’s setup for bird dogs as well.It’s a little pricey but well worth it.

Ben, sounds like adding a collar is the cheapest for you. I have the Garmin sport Pro for two dogs and really like the system and options. Very easy to use.

I just added a collar to my Dogtra Pathfinder system, I like how it works. You do have to switch over in the app to the other dog, but that keeps me in check, keeps me watching which dog is looking to need a little Edison medicine. The time it takes to switch gives me a chance to give some verbal or nonverbal commands before I go hitting them with the juice. So this system works for me, but I could see how it could be too slow for some guys or situations.

I've got at older tri-tronics pro 100 that I used on two dogs. It was set up with a toggle switch on the remote that you could color code to the dog. Black/Blue/Red on the switch that represented the Black/Blue/Red collar on the dog.

I'm not sure how the sport-dog switches between dogs, but the biggest issue is nicking the wrong dog. So when i was running two dogs with a collar set for up to 3 collars, I always had the remote set to the empty collar. Forced me to flip the toggle switch to the right dog before hitting the correction. Seemed to work pretty good. I definitely liked controlling both dogs on the same remote though.

When I had 2 labs I ran two on one collar while training. I only slipped up once in correcting the wrong dog. My controller went up to 16, and one dog was good at 4, the other needed it at 8. Made it a bit inconvient to change it up, but prob not more than having two controllers. I'd make sure the one I get had a good mechanism for switching so you didn't accidently move it.

Tri-Tronics was bought out by garmin a while back, so the toggle switch at the top of the remote that pointingdogsrule posted is pretty much the same switch I was using. I used the top one for one dog, and the bottom one for the other. Then left the swith in the middle (empty collar) position.

Ben, sounds like adding a collar is the cheapest for you. I have the Garmin sport Pro for two dogs and really like the system and options. Very easy to use.

Yep. I've been happy with the sportdog so I did just purchase the extra collar. The controller is set up so the top button works for dog 1 & the bottom works on dog 2, rather than having a short nick & continuous nick for 1. Seems pretty straight forward. Lots to learn. Thanks gang!

I also run the Tri Tronics, pretty simple toggle to the correct dog but you will mess up occasionally. I’ve got about 8 years on mine, need need to replace both receivers this year. I keep the transmitter set on my bull headed dog.

I do it with my Garmin. It works well, unless they're both frantically trying to run at the road/porcupine/other hunter's dog at the same time. For little corrections, it's easy to switch back and forth (and frankly, I don't use the thing very much at this point).

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back