Yeti GOBOX Collection

Run or Tree

josh

Both
biggrin.gif

Most of the dogs I have had were trained by older dogs and thats it! The pup I have now will run a track but hasn't had the oppertunity to tree yet, darn snow is knee deep around here, making it realy hard for a young dog..I would have to say it probably would impress me more if a young pup showed a willingness to tree.....Even the worst dogs I have owned would at least run a track!

engman99, I have never owned a coon dog but, I have owned several squirrel dogs. The hardest part was getting them to tree. We could always get one that would trail w/ their nose, but to get one to tree....well this could take some time. So if I was training a coondog, I think I would teach them to tree first. If I couldn't get them to do this, then I wouldn't waste my time.

This is a very contraversial topic in my neck of the woods.When starting a young hound which do you prefer it learns first.To run a track,or to tree?And why?

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

I am going to elaborate on this question just a little.Some guys think a dog should learn to run a track before it learns to tree.If they learn to track well first,then they are less likely to slick tree.Some guys want them to tree first,because they think if it dont know how to tree it aint worth hunting.Which do you agree with?

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

Engman,
I have always broke starters with the older dogs! However, since I am nuts over a hard tree dog, I was taught a few tricks to work starters on the side with the treeing part by some old time coonhunters!

I would get a live trapped coon in a basket or a green hide, drag it a bit and up a tree. I would take a lead and work him under the tree and give praise and sometimes, even go as far as shoot a .22, throw the hide down to let it have a chew! And give him praise and a treat afterwards!

The only bad thing about that is getting a dog used to staying on one tree and not circuling the tree! (makeing the hound lie)
That is where using a old broke dog helps with the trailing tricks!
Never hurts to work them on the side with being better tree hounds, but I have seen dogs that you could walk up to a tree and slap it with your hand, say "speak to it" and the hound would start to tree every breath on NOTHING!!!

With that said, nothing is better than pulling the broke dogs back off from the tree, shooting a coon with enough of a shot to make him jump and let the starter finish the job alone! something about getting a few cut noses and ripped ears to make a starter hate a coon or cat more!

Also if you can get a live one out and let the starter catch him in the open and get a scrap going! Like B'cat and i did with one of his starters is not only fun, but works wonders for a young dog for both treeing and trailing!
Only time will tell, but eventually, the dog will prove his worth. Mind ya, some slower than others!
Thumper

When the tail-gate drops, the bullsh!t stops!
smile.gif
HEEHE

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

Thumper,I am not asking for advice.I just want to know which you guys prefer one does first.I still dont know which you like.But I will agree.You got to shoot some feet.
wink.gif

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

I guess my pups will start trailing first,but if they dont have natural tree instict, I dont feed them long.If they dont start looking up when the game is up after a few set loose housecats, they dont go home with me. --.22 KW

Engman-With my dogs I start them trailing with a coon hide or a scent bag with lion scent in it and then go right up the tree with it. They trail and tree trail and tree, just as they would on the real thing. We then douse a barn cat with a little lion scent and let them get a taste of the real thing. Have had very few that didnt pass the test. Later on when the skills require more work on the dogs part, they either do or they dont. Dogs are like humans, not every day is a good one, and that is taken into consideration, but to answer youre question, we train them to trail and tree all in the same day or days!!! Little puppies respond real well at 6 to 8 weeks believe it or not dragging a t-bone around in front of them and then holding it just above thier heads till they yip!!!! Works for me!!! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

engman99
Not trying to sound sarcastic with advice, I was just posting how I have worked hounds with both trailing and treeing at the same time!
You are right, got to shoot some foots and get them on the pups for sure!
i just feel that working a true tree dog takes TIME and working in all areas both in and out of the woods works best (for me that is).
Thumper

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back