PEAX Equipment

Run and Gun Set up

SD_Prairie_Goat

So I hunt almost only public land, and I move around a lot (mainly cause I suck at bow hunting and move in hopes of finding a good spot)......

Anyways, I walk in with my stand on my back every night and I'm wondering how other guys packs theirs in.

Here is how I normally do mine:
  • Stand directly on my back. Sticks strapped onto the stand on my back
  • backpack with misc. gear on the front (very awkward to carry no doubt)
  • bow in hand

It gets the job done I suppose, but man is it kind of a pain in the back (full pun intended).

Does anyone have a better way? I was thinking of maybe getting a fanny pack to carry in my gear instead of the backpack?

I would highly recommend something like a metcalf with a meat shelf for the stand/sticks and it also works for my blind. It’s a little bit of a pain until you figure out all the buckles in the dark but much more comfortable. I was debating on one of the pop up packs to reduce carrying too much.

I would highly recommend something like a metcalf with a meat shelf for the stand/sticks and it also works for my blind. It’s a little bit of a pain until you figure out all the buckles in the dark but much more comfortable. I was debating on one of the pop up packs to reduce carrying too much.
But how do you carry the rest of your gear? I guess that's the heart of the question. I can figure out the stand and sticks, but then what do I do to carry the rest of my gear?

But how do you carry the rest of your gear? I guess that's the heart of the question. I can figure out the stand and sticks, but then what do I do to carry the rest of my gear?
All of my gear is in the pack except for my gun/bow. There are options some people like for attaching that to the pack too but I’m normally going < a mile so I prefer to carry in case an opportunity presents itself. Stand is where the orange bag is below138F3E81-05F8-422E-A1E6-8718D3E10968.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Horn Hunter full curl set up, the frame carries a full size climbing tree stand quite nicely, usually walk in well before light, but have hunted with it on my back in the afternoon on my way out and could hardly tell it was there.

I'm just like you SD, it makes it more difficult when i'm on my mtn bike.

I use a hip/backpack where it fits on my hip and my stand lays over it and its not too bad

I was doing the military surplus backpack straps system until I realized my metcalf was the perfect vehicle to carry my climber. Straps right in and you barely notice the weight. I actually just bought a MR Mule bag to use on the frame instead so I don’t fill my metcalf with too much stuff on my day hunts.

I was doing the military surplus backpack straps system until I realized my metcalf was the perfect vehicle to carry my climber. Straps right in and you barely notice the weight. I actually just bought a MR Mule bag to use on the frame instead so I don’t fill my metcalf with too much stuff on my day hunts.
I'm a cheap bastard tho haha. I found better straps for the stand, I'm going to try them out. Came from a backpack sprayer so it has hip straps too

I'm a cheap bastard tho haha. I found better straps for the stand, I'm going to try them out. Came from a backpack sprayer so it has hip straps too

Yeah the metcalf or any other high end backpack for tree stand carry is overkill, but I had it already. Prior to that I bought some military surplus straps from eBay that were 20 bucks. Worked just fine.

I’m bow hunting this season for the first time in a few years. I hate climbing. Don’t have a fear of heights just find the extra equipment, safety procedures, time setting up and taking down too annoying. Even the last time I gun hunted from a stand I climbed down because I didn’t have a good view and killed a deer that morning.

While it’s likely not as practical I’m focusing on ground set ups. Got a small chair that I can strap to my pack, a hand saw, and the rest is normal hunting equipment.

Tree Saddle. The platform fits in my pack and I can wear my harness. The sticks for climbing get strapped to the side of my pack. With 2 sticks and a rope aider I can get about 16' off the ground with less than 8lbs of gear and very little bulk. So that's my setup.

If I have time to preset, I'll use more sticks to avoid the hassle of the aider. In the future I plan on upgrading to a ladder style aider and cutting my sticks down a bit. That will give me a nice bulk reduction, but be about the same weight. Here is a picture of the preset tree I did for my deer this year. The platform needed for a saddle is TINY.

Tree Stand.JPG

As to comfort, I was asleep when my deer came in this year.

Tree Saddle. The platform fits in my pack and I can wear my harness. The sticks for climbing get strapped to the side of my pack. With 2 sticks and a rope aider I can get about 16' off the ground with less than 8lbs of gear and very little bulk. So that's my setup.

If I have time to preset, I'll use more sticks to avoid the hassle of the aider. In the future I plan on upgrading to a ladder style aider and cutting my sticks down a bit. That will give me a nice bulk reduction, but be about the same weight. Here is a picture of the preset tree I did for my deer this year. The platform needed for a saddle is TINY.

View attachment 153966

As to comfort, I was asleep when my deer came in this year.
This is going to be my first season hunting from a saddle, I'm so excited.

This is going to be my first season hunting from a saddle, I'm so excited.

Sweet!!! You'll like it. Just make sure you practice shooting all your angles before you hunt. It takes some getting used to on the drop shot (leaning out away from the tree shooting behind you). What's your climbing method going to be?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back