Ruger SFAR 20" 308 Win

USAF Ret

With the anticipation of selling a rifle and me looking at Gunbroker late at night (probably not a good idea), I came upon a Ruger SFAR that the bid was about to end on and actually got it at a very good price. With it being light weight and having the 20" barrel, it will be added to my list of hunting rifles.

Anyone out there with one of these? How do you like it? Load recommendations?

Let us know how it shoots.

All the videos on YouTube show 16” version. 1-1.5” with most ammo it seemed.

Ruger killed it with the price IMO, even though that market does seem saturated, I think it will be successful and see them releasing a 6.5cm version next year. I have been watching for the same rifle you got but haven’t found what I thought was one for a great (<$1k) price.

Let us know how it shoots.

All the videos on YouTube show 16” version. 1-1.5” with most ammo it seemed.

Ruger killed it with the price IMO, even though that market does seem saturated, I think it will be successful and see them releasing a 6.5cm version next year. I have been watching for the same rifle you got but haven’t found what I thought was one for a great (<$1k) price.
I got mine for $1k even on Gunbroker. I went with the 20" barrel. Extra 1/2 lb, but at 7.3 and I lighter scope, should be a good hunting rig.

Most of the accuracy tests I have seen are with the 16" barrel.

I think Ruger hit it out of the park with this rifle based on specs and their own reputation. I’m not an AR guy and definitely not a large frame AR fan, as they are too heavy to do anything well besides shoot off a bench. BUT, I’m interested in this rifle!

I think Ruger hit it out of the park with this rifle based on specs and their own reputation. I’m not an AR guy and definitely not a large frame AR fan, as they are too heavy to do anything well besides shoot off a bench. BUT, I’m interested in this rifle!
Same here. I am a hunter. Not a bench rest shooter. I had a PSA AR-10. It was a tack driver. It sat in the safe because I felt like shooting it was just wasting ammo.

The one thing I am reading and seeing is the muzzle brake is louder than normal brakes and may cause accuracy issues. So, I ordered a radial brake from Ruger. I use these on quite a few rifles and accuracy is outstanding.

The one thing I am reading and seeing is the muzzle brake is louder than normal brakes and may cause accuracy issues. So, I ordered a radial brake from Ruger. I use these on quite a few rifles and accuracy is outstanding.
Any update on how it shoots?

Any update on how it shoots?
So far, it is AR accurate. I have tried six different handloads and it averages around 1.5 MOA. I am not sure I am going to get a lot better from it. Best group was with 150 grain Speer Gold Dot over 44.5 grains of Varget. Velocity of 2653 with a 1.22 MOA group. One thing I noticed is the groups open up with hotter loads.

It's also about the same average with factory ammo with Norma 150 grain Whitetail being the best.

Last edited:
So far, it is AR accurate. I have tried six different handloads and it averages around 1.5 MOA. I am not sure I am going to get a lot better from it. Best group was with 150 grain Speer Gold Dot over 44.5 grains of Varget. Velocity of 2653 with a 1.22 MOA group. One thing I noticed is the groups open up with hotter loads.

It's also about the same average with factory ammo with Norma 150 grain Whitetail being the best.
I don’t know much about the platform. Does it accept regular AR-10 barrels? If so, a few hundred dollars will get you a fantastic upgrade from Ballistic Advantage. I got a 6.5 grendel DMR barrel from them and it shot 1/2 inch or better with bulk american gunner

Edit:
Did some research after posting that and saw they used a different sleeve and barrel extension for it.

Last edited:
I don’t know much about the platform. Does it accept regular AR-10 barrels? If so, a few hundred dollars will get you a fantastic upgrade from Ballistic Advantage. I got a 6.5 grendel DMR barrel from them and it shot 1/2 inch or better with bulk american gunner

Edit:
Did some research after posting that and saw they used a different sleeve and barrel extension for it.
I have no idea. The whole thing is proprietary. So, can't interchange things like you could with a standard AR-10.

Was thinking of setting this up as a hunting rifle, but thinking not. For a battle rifle, the groups are complete acceptable. Think I am going to replace the long range scope with a 1-10 LPVO and call it a day.

I shot with @Chingon one day and I think he had one of these that was not up to snuff.
That was a Savage MSR 10 Hunter in 6.5CM. Never fed right and accuracy wasn't great. Savage re-worked it a bunch, replaced the barrel and to my surprise it bump-fired on me, putting one round down range and another in the tunnel, nearly hitting the block wall 5' in front of me. Sold it off to Cabelas after that.

I really like the idea of an accurate, moderate weight semi-auto 6.5CM but after that experience I'm going to stay away from AR10's...

That was a Savage MSR 10 Hunter in 6.5CM. Never fed right and accuracy wasn't great. Savage re-worked it a bunch, replaced the barrel and to my surprise it bump-fired on me, putting one round down range and another in the tunnel, nearly hitting the block wall 5' in front of me. Sold it off to Cabelas after that.

I really like the idea of an accurate, moderate weight semi-auto 6.5CM but after that experience I'm going to stay away from AR10's...
National Match Springfield Armory M1A factory chambered in 6.5 creedmoor is a great shooter. Not sure what you consider " moderate weight"

Well my 8lb bolt action rifles (no optics) are about the limit of what I want to lug around in the mountains. That M1A looks nice, but also looks like it weighs 20lbs.

Is there such a thing as an MOA AR10 under 8lbs?

Edit - just looked at the lite SFAR and it shows 6.8lbs so lighter than a Bergarbage. If those can reliably cycle 308 match cartidges and shoot sub MOA they'd be pretty cool. I just feel like I always lose out on gun reliability roullette...

Well my 8lb bolt action rifles (no optics) are about the limit of what I want to lug around in the mountains. That M1A looks nice, but also looks like it weighs 20lbs.

Is there such a thing as an MOA AR10 under 8lbs?

Edit - just looked at the lite SFAR and it shows 6.8lbs so lighter than a Bergarbage. If those can reliably cycle 308 match cartidges and shoot sub MOA they'd be pretty cool. I just feel like I always lose out on gun reliability roullette...
Mine runs like a champ. I am still working on getting MOS groups. No luck. yet. If I get something that consistently groups well, I will let you know. Also, mine is the 20" version. Only upgrade is the trigger to a Timney. That 2-stage trigger was garbage.

Test info in message below.

Back