Ruger m77 300wm

GlockZ

I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a m77 hawkeye in 300wm,stainless steel as well. It's a sweet looking rifle. My question is, does anyone have any experience with The m77, I heard the older versions weren't very accurate, but being a Ruger well built. Any issues with triggers,etc? Thanks in advance.

Great Rifles. Plan on putting in a new trigger. Is it the older one w/ a tang safety? Either way they are solid. I carried one for many years.

I've got a couple of older M77s, I've never had any reliability issues with them. I do prefer a nicer trigger than their factory models have, not that they didn't work reliably, but just not what I prefer. My brother and I each had M77s in 7RemMag, mine was tough to dial-in during load development for it and accuracy was just 'good enough,' but my brother's was very quick and easy to develop a load for and very accurate. If you think you're getting a good deal on one, you probably are. Is taking it to the range for a test-drive an option? Then you can see the accuracy first-hand.

If it's the Hawkeye it's one of the newer 77's. My son has a MKII which is just a bit older than your model in a 6mm Remington and it shoots very well. Ruger builds a good solid rifle and I believe the old accuracy issues have gone away as I think they either have one source for barrels, or they make them themselves.

We put a Boyd's wood laminate stock on my son's rifle and had it pillar and glass bedded. My gunsmith also worked his magic on the trigger. I don't even recall what it was like out of the box, trigger that is, but it's fantastic now!!

I have a Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts. Have a Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 Varmint on it.
Trigger pull was horrendous. I installed a set of Wolffe springs in it. Much better, but still a little heavy.
As for accuracy, one of the most consistently accurate rifles that I own.

I'm must be the anomaly when it comes to M77's. I had a blue & walnut Hawkeye in 300 WM and couldn't get it to group below 2 inches using several different powders & bullets. Free floated, glass & pillar bedded it with no improvement. I think they're still a little hit or miss when it comes to accuracy, but again, I'm probably the odd duck out on them. I want to like them, but can't seem to get one that shoots.

Well, I have to say the Ruger m77 Hawkeye is a nice rifle. I'm in the load development stages now, and the accuracy I'm seeing right now is awesome! I'm seeing sub-MOA at 100yds. For some reason it's not digging any of the Nosler loads that I have run through it. Bergers and Barnes bullets are producing the best results. Hopefully soon I'll be able to reach out to the 300-500yd range and see what I have.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back