MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ruger American

I bought an American when they very first came out and were constantly on sale. Mine is a .308 that I wanted as a back up rifle. It shoots half inch groups at 100 yards with 150 grain Federal Fusions. I dropped a VX2 scope on it.

A girl that works with me bought one new in 6.5 Creedmore this year, she's having trouble with fired casings getting stuck...shooting Hornady factory loads, anyone else had this problem? I haven't looked at it but she said they had to hammer the bolt back to get it open the last couple of times this has happened

I have really liked my American until this last hunt. Gun performs great, can shoot better then I can for sure. This last hunt I had several issues in my 6.5 Credmoor with the new AI Magazine feeding rounds. I shot a Caribou and then had 3 issues with ammo feeding. I took it to the range and had no issues when resighting it in... but I then I had it happen again the last day I went out. I'm a little confused if it is the colder weather, or if I'm doing something wrong in the field.
Sorry for my ignorance, but isn’t the AI magazine aftermarket? Your problem may be with the magazine and not the rifle. What kind of problems did you have?

A girl that works with me bought one new in 6.5 Creedmore this year, she's having trouble with fired casings getting stuck...shooting Hornady factory loads, anyone else had this problem? I haven't looked at it but she said they had to hammer the bolt back to get it open the last couple of times this has happened
Factory ammo CAN be over pressure, but seeing the brass would also help to know if it was possibly a burr or something else causing the problem. She can send it back to Ruger for warranty repair if she tries different ammo and the problem persists.

I don't own a Ruger American but have fired several. Using the universal Savage Rifle grading index, I put the American above the Axis II but below the 110. I have not had trouble with the American's rotary magazine but have read from others who did not like them. Like almost every modern bolt rifle, it is more accurate than most of us. Can you get them in stainless? I've cooled to blued rifles.

I did have a Model 110 with a chamber burr. Cases went in ok but got very stuck after firing. In this case, the cause was visible and very obvious. Can you see any sort of burr?

I haven't actually seen the casings but I'll ask her to bring them in, my suggestion was to just send it back to Ruger since she bought it new and she's only had it a couple of months, I'm not sure if she's tried different ammo or not but I know she said its happened every shot the last 3-4 times she shot it...seems like most people have been pretty satisfied with the rifle so I told her I'd ask around to see if I could find anyone with a similar experience

I had a savage that had a slightly (almost imperceptively) proud action screw that caused these same symptoms. A few seconds on the grinding wheel cured the issue.

I'm looking at swapping out the stock on a compact just to get rid of the rotary mags. They're junk.

Probably do a Boyds on it, with AI mag conversion. Did you try any other magazines?

I'm looking at swapping out the stock on a compact just to get rid of the rotary mags. They're junk.

Probably do a Boyds on it, with AI mag conversion. Did you try any other magazines?
What don't you like about the Ruger rotary magazines? Would you make the same complaint about the Browning X-bolt magazines?

What don't you like about the Ruger rotary magazines? Would you make the same complaint about the Browning X-bolt magazines?
They don't feed reliably. I've been through 4 of them, of which one seems to work well. The other 3 have weak spring pressure on the follower or the rounds hang up inside the magazine. I've started to use the magazines for the 450 Bushmaster with 7mm-08 rounds. It will hold 3 rounds and is single stack, and seems to feed more reliably. However, it does stick out of the stock an inch or so. For $40 each per magazine, Ruger should be able to come up with something that functions.

I have zero experience with Browning magazines.

ETA - Interesting... It appears Ruger has an newly designed version of the rotary mag for 308 based rounds. Looks like they heard the complaints about the mags. If I can find one, might give that a whirl. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021370181

Last edited:
They don't feed reliably. I've been through 4 of them, of which one seems to work well. The other 3 have weak spring pressure on the follower or the rounds hang up inside the magazine. I've started to use the magazines for the 450 Bushmaster with 7mm-08 rounds. It will hold 3 rounds and is single stack, and seems to feed more reliably. However, it does stick out of the stock an inch or so. For $40 each per magazine, Ruger should be able to come up with something that functions.

I have zero experience with Browning magazines.

ETA - Interesting... It appears Ruger has an newly designed version of the rotary mag for 308 based rounds. Looks like they heard the complaints about the mags. If I can find one, might give that a whirl. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021370181
Same issue with my 308 especially in cold temps. Learned the hard way in October. Would not pick up a round

I ask because I consider the magazines on the Savage rifles to be their weak point. Maybe not as weak as I thought. I bought two Savage rifles this year, and their magazines differ from each other and from the older ones. Not enough time to see if they'll operate better.

The X-Bolt magazines feel very solid and smooth, but that may not translate to smooth operation. Come to think of it, I didn't load the magazines on the Americans I've tried.

It might just be a short chamber, driving pressure up to cause it to stick, but most likely it's just a rough chamber that needs to be polished. She should get in touch with Ruger and have them take care of it. Their customer service has a great reputation.

Picked up one in 308 in lefty 3 years ago when a local dealer went out of business to replace my aging 760 pump that I had used since i was 12. Shoots great, feeds good, no issues, took a bit to get used to the trigger but like it now. Strictly my WI deer gun, and varmints of coarse. Shooting Federal factory loads no issues.

Last edited:
Have had this issue with an Axis 2 and Hornady loads (Superformance, 7mm-08, 139 grain). In my case seems I had a bad batch of factory ammo as the primers were blowing out of the back end of the case and causing ejection issues. Used some Federals with Accubonds and no issues.

Just a follow up, Ruger has indeed redesigned the magazines for these rifles and they work much better. Old style rotary magazine on right, new style vertical stack on left.

20210118_111845.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back