Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ruger American in .308

Maybe it's just me, but I ignore foot pounds of energy. I don't think it's a meaningful number. I like Barnes bullets and with them you want as much velocity as you can get, for reliable and maximum expansion. That's why I would go with the 150 grain. A hole in the lungs is a hole in the lungs. The elk won't know the difference between a 150 grain and a 168 grain bullet.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have plenty to work with. And to whoever may be concerned about my ethics, they are still intact.

Last edited:
Charlie bravo- All bullets of the same diameter and weight have the same sectional density regardless of the material they are made from.

You're right, I got myself mixed up there talking about copper bullets.

Washington Hunter, in regards to ignoring energy, that's like saying torque doesn't matter in a truck as long as it can go 90 on the freeway. Energy is one of the many components involved in killing critters with a gun whether you choose to ignore it or not.

Would you use a .223 to hunt elk? A 69gr bullet leaves the barrel at the same speed as a 150gr .308, so what makes one more effective than the other? The difference is that the .308 is carrying more energy due to increased mass.
Same reason why if you get hit by a baseball flying through the air at 65 mph it probably won't kill you, but a car going 65 probably will.

Probably the reason why Randy himself advocates for a 180gr .308 bullet and not a 150.

Last edited:

Washington Hunter, in regards to ignoring energy, that's like saying torque doesn't matter in a truck as long as it can go 90 on the freeway. Energy is one of the many components involved in killing critters with a gun whether you choose to ignore it or not.

Would you use a .223 to hunt elk? A 69gr bullet leaves the barrel at the same speed as a 150gr .308, so what makes one more effective than the other? The difference is that the .308 is carrying more energy due to increased mass.
Same reason why if you get hit by a baseball flying through the air at 65 mph it probably won't kill you, but a car going 65 probably will.

Probably the reason why Randy himself advocates for a 180gr .308 bullet and not a 150.

I just know what works. I used to study and compare foot pounds of energy and thought it was a big deal. But I gave up on that a long time ago. I also used to be a big fan of heavy for caliber bullets. But copper bullets changed all that. Now if I'm using a copper bullet I like light and fast.

Extreme examples to make a point often don't. Problem with energy is how dependent it is on other factors such as bullet construction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back