Caribou Gear

Routine

WIbiggame

I just read an article from dialedinhunter about being more efficient in the back country. Some good things in the article. The biggest thing I gained was that he eats dinner on the mountain around 1430-1500, so that he is not doing it during prime hunting or when he gets back to his tent at dark and is tired. Does anyone else do this? It sucks getting back to the tent after dark and having to go to the food tree and get food heat up water and eat than clean it all up.

Yes I generally eat my last large meal in the afternoon for that reason, assuming I'm not chasing something. One thing I've found taking new backpack hunters out is they are always wondering what time lunch and dinner are. Ain't no time sometimes, gotta eat whenever you get a minute.

Camp is set up and we day pack out. If we can see, we hunt. Snack when hungy. The last big meal is after last light, clean up, then into the bags. If something goes down late, we eat later. Have got a few at last light.

Ak moose.jpg

I've always carried snacks when hunting. Small and usually quick breakfast and a good dinner are always at camp.

I don't have set "meal times," I just do my best to continuously eat. Like a lot. If I'm sitting in the same spot for more than 10 minutes whether its to glass, filter some water, take a little breather, look at the map, etc. I'm shoving calories into my face. I do pack a small stove and a Mtn. House with me during the day though. If I get hung up waiting out some rain, or I'm going to be in a spot for an extended period of time I'll fire up some water and eat it. Almost miraculous how some hot food can change your outlook on life when it's cold/rainy/crappy out.

My normal routine was wake up 1-2hrs before light. Boil water for oatmeal and coffee than hit the trail. Eat trailmix and jerky as I could throughout the day. Than when i get back to the tent usually an hour or 2 after dark. The last thing I wanted to do was cook so I would often go to bed without eating something. This hit hard after 4-5days. I hope to try this "big" meal on the mountain. Thanks everyone for the input and ideas.

Power-bar or cliff bar for b-fast pre-sunrise.

Couple of handfuls of trail mix during the day.

1 Mt House for dinner, after dark. Shot of Scotch and in the bag.

Repeat for 7 days, then back to trailer and wife for a good meal, shower and good nights sleep.

Then back out for 7 days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back