Roosevelt Question

ELkhunter all the rosy elk I have seen in washington were much bigger than the rocky mountain type....

the ones on the olympic peninsula are huge elk.. bigger than those i have seen on the west side of cascades

Delw

Ya, ole Del is right on this one. These
roosevelt elk, some call em Olympic elk,
grow to some huge sizes. They live in the
rain forests up from Oregon all the
way up to Alaska. I heard from bios they are
about 15 to 20% heavier then their rocky
mtn cousins, but have shorter but heavier
racks. They are a beautifull animal indeed.
I hope to be hunting bulls this Oct near the
Olympic park. All I have to do is draw the
darn permit. :mad:

I will concurr with all of the abouv Elky.Them Roosies are freakin huge.
Spotted Good luck on that permit man.
I got all my apps in now gotta wait until August for the dang drawing :mad:

Thanks guys

Yea!! The last one I helped haul out that a cousin shot, The quarters were a little over a hundred and 110 lbs each and that was from a spike..... :D

MY BUDDY A BOWHUNTER GOT A COW ROSY LAST YEAR THAT WEIGHED IN AT 394lbs OF "MEAT" AT THE BUTCHER.HE SAID SHE WAS THE LEAD COW AND WAS BIGGER THAN A FORKIE AND SPIKE SHE WAS WITH. GOOD LUCK UP THERE IN THE OLYMPICS.ITS MY UNDERSTANDING "THE OLYMPIC ROSY" IS THE KING OF ELK BEING THE LARGEST BODIED ELK.ALTHOUGH THE STUDY I SEEN WAS BASED ON THE ELK FOUND INSIDE THE OLYMPIC PARK,I THINK THEY FROWN ON HUNTING IN NATIONAL PARKS.

Ray,

They did tip afew over with the aid of a
chopper and a shooter. The game dept did a
big bull mortality study in the park a few
years back. They did shoot 1 toad who scored
I beleive 389.

Spotted Owl:
I remember that study and the worst part about it was, that was the third bull they shot that day with the previous two running over a cliff and getting killed! The first one broke its neck and the second broke a leg so they had to put it under also. They tried this right up on the top of Queets ridge where the terrain was verticle. They killed the two biggest out of the bunch! Of course most never heard about that part of it. I have little to no respect for the piss poor management or studies that they try to display. The problem is they get someone who has been trained by academic ideologies and thinks he knows more than everyone else. Oh well, just venting a little. Oh ya I forgot to mention the fact that they ran hundreds of mountain goat off of the cliffs and shot several more from a helicopter up in the Dungeness and a couple other places cause they were eating all the disiduous plant life in the area and they were not native to the area. Instead of issuing more permits in the hunting season they chose to waste this resource. As we all know over here, the goats would migrate down out of the deep snow every year into legal hunting ground. Just another thought!!!

Ray,

I hear ya! Not everything thge dept does is
the best for the resourse. Sounds like you
have quite abit of assorted war stories
about the dept. I've got a good friend whos also my hunting partner who's a bio in the dept. I've enjoyed helping out on a couple
of elk projects. We had 1 spike buy the farm
out of about 35 animals. I'm not sure what
happened. I was the first guy to get to him.
He may have broke his neck, or got too much
drugs main lined into his spine. Where I live, the Muckelshoots have had their way
with the elk for too long. Funny what a
7 month season can do to the herds!
:mad: :mad: Anyway, I better not get started on tribal hunting rights. My blood
pressure is high enough at the end of a
Monday.

Spotted Owl:
It's not the game dept that I really have a beef with, but rather the USNPS and the way they come up with non beneficial management plans and then the impelmentation of those plans are sometimes nothing short of slaughter. I have some pretty close buds that have worked within the USNPS and that is how come I somtimes am opinionated. Who is your hunting partner, maybe I know of him.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-24-2002 22:37: Message edited by: raybow 1 ]</font>

After hunting Rocky Mountain Elk, a Roosevelt looks like a Volkswagen bus !!
but typically the ones we get are 2-3 year olds, and only slightly larger than a RM.
I did have a friend that got a cow, hanging weight at the butcher (no head, hide or backstraps ;) ) went 379 pounds.

Whoa!!! Really old post! Some of the newbies on here prolly weren't even born yet!! :) Heck...I didn't even have my first cell phone yet when this post initially took place.

New member, and Archery Elk hunter from Washington...
Used the search feature, did not look at dates...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back