Roosevelt (cut and paste)

2fastnaz

Heres a little thing I found at AZCENTRAL

(Roosevelt Lake, AZ) -- The monsoon rains in northern Arizona are pushing ash and debris from the massive 468 thousand acre "Rodeo-Chediski" wildfire down into Roosevelt Lake, and officials say it could kill the fish in the reservoir. According to an article in the "Arizona Republic," scientists are testing the water which turned black by the debris to determine the extent of damage that could occur from the runoff. Test results aren't expected until sometime next week, but officials are worried that the debris could cause algae to spread across the lake's surface, cutting off oxygen to other life in the water and leaving the lake "dead" for months or years to come.

:eek: :eek:

here is a link to the Republics article
http://www.azrepublic.com/news/articles/0718deadlake18.html

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-18-2002 09:30: Message edited by: 2fastnaz ]</font>

In washington when MT. saint helens blew her top there was ash every where and we didnt have any major fish kills on the trout or salmon, unless you count the boiled fish that came down the Tutle river.. I am wondering if its because of the slurry they used to fight the fire or if this is some kind hype that the news media is trying to play....

That will be interesting to see how it turns out 2 fast... thanks for the post..
Delw

I read that article this am too. I think it might be a little premature for them to start condeming the lake yet tho....only time will tell, and theres not really anything they can do to stop it anyway if it is true. :( They can stop the spread of it tho by not opening up the dam to Apache lake if all their fears do come true. Think they'd do that to save the aquatic animals??Dought it.

LipRipper

This is actually a good article. They go along and explain naturally occuring events in the schemes of nature. If this all starts to come back in months, instead of longer as I would have suspected. It just show's that nature is way more resiliant than some on these boards would have any one belive... :D

Kevin I remember some kinda story like that...

My buddies were fishing the tutle(think thats the one) when it blew... they said after is blew a few hours later the river just dried up. they went out and pulled salmon, steelhead and trout from the river with there bare hands...

ElkChR

what does slurry do to the water? you have any idea?

Delw

No Del...
I haven't heard of any thing adverse happening to the water from the dump runs..I am figuring it wouldn't do much more than paint the water and add a little mud. Since that is all it really is...Next fire I am on that there is a biologist. I will ask... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back