Rookies Hunting NM

David58

My wife and I are Antelope rookies. Living in NM, we have decided that we MUST hunt antelope. Approaching retirement, a DIY hunt is the only approach that makes sense. Any recommendations on units, or whatever else, to put together a DIY hunt? Taking Randy's statement to heart - we'll run out of health before money, and we are trying to hunt whatever we can before we can't.

Thanks in advance for your shared wisdom!!!

A Go hunt subscription for a Christmas present would kill two bird with one stone.
It really helps having the draw odds so you put your choices in the correct order.

You need to decide if you want any opportunity, or if you need a specific type of experience. Do you want to hunt local or would you prefer to travel? You can draw a lot of archery tags easily as a resident, but rifle tags range between moderately easy to draw to nearly impossible to draw. Private land tags are OTC but access will likely cost you money. You might still be able to do private land OTC. Most antelope live in the eastern half of the state, more in the north than south. Access is pretty good everywhere, if you use the NMSLO website, or OnX.
Gohunt will tell you where a lot of people will be applying, but you can get information on any place in the state. Take the information with a grain of salt.

Wyoming if you are considering out of state? Wyomings out of state points system and draws are the most friendly to non residents. I unfortunately don't know much about NM Antelope.

You need to decide if you want any opportunity, or if you need a specific type of experience. Do you want to hunt local or would you prefer to travel? You can draw a lot of archery tags easily as a resident, but rifle tags range between moderately easy to draw to nearly impossible to draw. Private land tags are OTC but access will likely cost you money. You might still be able to do private land OTC. Most antelope live in the eastern half of the state, more in the north than south. Access is pretty good everywhere, if you use the NMSLO website, or OnX.
Gohunt will tell you where a lot of people will be applying, but you can get information on any place in the state. Take the information with a grain of salt.
The experience is basically an opportunity, hopefully to find a keeper but mostly to get to hunt. Cost is a factor, landowners seem to charge more than we prefer to spend.

Wyoming if you are considering out of state? Wyomings out of state points system and draws are the most friendly to non residents. I unfortunately don't know much about NM Antelope.
WY is on our list for 2022. '21 coming too fast...

WY is on our list for 2022. '21 coming too fast...
Apply anyway. You may be surprised. Plenty of folks with zero points get selected in Wyoming based on the way applicants get thrown in the hat. If I can find it I will post the link to one of Randy's explanation of Wyoming draws, how they work and odds. WY has a very unique way of doing things that makes the state one of the best for out of state applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go. Very good explanation of how Wyoming draws work.

If you're wanting to hunt with a rifle, you'll want a backup plan for next year because resident draw odds for antelope aren't great. Best case scenario (per GoHunt) is about 29% for a third hunt (meaning that unit has been hunted the previous two weeks). Most units in the state are 10% or less for rifle.

As Bluffgruff said, you have much better odds of getting an archery tag with one hunt showing 99% odds for last year.

I personally don't think a GoHunt subscription is worth it just to look at NM antelope odds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back