Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rochelle Hills Deer

hunt1up

So our group of 4 will be headed to WY in October to hunt antelope and deer. Two if us are antelope hunting in unit 27 and two in 6/8. Consequently we decided to apply for unit 10 deer tags. It's the new limited quota Rochelle Hills unit. I know it's a pretty crappy area and I have realistic expectations on what to expect. Our primary motivation for get this tag is the amount of public land in contrast to region B. All that windshield time gets old.

We've had region B deer tags over 3 past hunts between 2010-2013 and have gone 4 for 6 on filling them. The deer hunting was tough though and some luck was involved in our success. Plus none of those deer were large by any means. One of them did come from the Rochelle Hills when it was a Region B unit.

I'm pretty familiar with the country and area, but have spent pretty minimal time in unit 10. I know there's no magic bullet here, it's going to take some work. I guess I'm just looking for any insight on how the deer look this year, or perhaps certain tactics that worked in the area.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If it was Unit 22 I could help you out...hopefully someone chimes in.

Crappy area? Guessing its better mule deer hunting than IL. :D

I haven't spent much time there in a long time, but lived in Gillette for about a year and spent about 30-40 days hiking through the hills. I picked up about half a truck load of deer/elk sheds there. There are some decent bucks there, or used to be... Hunt the fringe areas of the mine properties. they don't allow hunting, and there are some sluggo bucks that live on the mine sites, both deer and antelope.

Good luck on your hunt.

Crappy area? Guessing its better mule deer hunting than IL. :D

I haven't spent much time there in a long time, but lived in Gillette for about a year and spent about 30-40 days hiking through the hills. I picked up about half a truck load of deer/elk sheds there. There are some decent bucks there, or used to be... Hunt the fringe areas of the mine properties. they don't allow hunting, and there are some sluggo bucks that live on the mine sites, both deer and antelope.

Good luck on your hunt.

Perhaps a poor choice of words :D How bout less than ideal?

Thanks for the insight. I know where you're talking. I know the population hadn't been doing well, hence the earlier antler restrictions and now the unit becoming LQ to keep the pressure down. It's a cool area and should be a great place to spend 8 days.

Good luck..there is always hope when you have a tag in your pocket

Back