Road Kill Salvage?

RobertR

I've been thinking about this for a long time but after watching an episode of Wardens it discusses me for the double standards of FWP. I'm all for making use of any road killed animal but by FWP'S requirements
(quote) Anyone who salvages a road-killed deer, elk, moose, or antelope will be required to remove the entire animal from where it is found. Parts or viscera cannot be left at the site. To do so is a violation of state law and would encourage other wildlife to scavenge in a place that would put them at risk of also being hit.
Part of the under lying problem is that it seem the Montana Department of Transportation has gotten lazy about picking road killed animals up if no one claims them and also attracts other scavenger birds etc. for another road hazard.

It seems the MDT is exempt as to how and where they discard the carcasses, but sports men and women are required to dispose of the carcass in a landfill or other garbage facility and you dump a processed carcass on public land it's considered littering. This brings up the issue of a health hazard or an animal that could be diseased.

Littering :A person convicted of littering while hunting, fishing, trapping or camping may lose his or her license and privileges to hunt, fish, trap, or camp within Montana for a period of one year.

The pile of discarded deer that shown on Wardens was discussing and a black eye for any state let a lone Montana. There are many of these dump sites throughout are state highways.
My question is, should highway crews be required to take these unclaimed road kills to a land fill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back