Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

River access shrinking

Oak

Expert
If you are a Colorado stream angler, the topic of public access is always there, like a pebble in your wading boot. The more you fish, the bigger the blister grows.

The "A" word was whispered when the driftboat slipped past upscale second homes in the Rio Grande Valley. The vacation homes, poorly disguised as cabins, have sprouted in shocking numbers along the riverbanks where deer once bedded and wild irises bloomed.

Every home resides in the dangerous flood plain, and some hang right over the river. A wave of greeting to a man on his riverfront porch was answered with a glare. The guide pulled on the oars.

Read it!

Oak

Colorado is a mess on that one... The people I know from the white water community are fighting this issue... Hopefully the Fisherwoosies and the Kayakers can join up and bring Colorado into line with Idaho and Montana...

Colorado needs a stream access law, and they can get one if they pull together and fight. The case law is in the favor of accessing the ordinary high water mark, you just have to have the funds and ambition to pursue it.

So I wonder who had the land before the realtors gotta hold of it?
Was it welfare ranchers?I read in the column where a farmer had some land and granted access, could this maybe be the "trickle" down effect of getting the welfare ranchers off? naaaaaaaaa no way....

Nahh...
I doubt it has anything to do with Welfare Ranchers. Colorado is very behind the times in getting rid of the Welfare Ranchers. They are more likely just the result of developers selling second houses along beautiful rivers.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back