Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rings and Bases recommendation

Talley lightweights for me. I just installed that same VX5 last week from schmalts on my Tikka 7mmHT.

I Run talleys 1 pc on most of my hunting rifles, those leupold 1 pc look good but never tried em. those leupold 2 or 3 pc or whatever the f they are can get used as fishing weights as far as I’m concerned.

Ok, i'll be the odd duck for this bunch.

I use EGW one piece bases on all my rifles that will accept them.
My Ruger 77 MKIIs having a different setup.

I have Leupold rings, that work just fine.
I have 2 sets of Warne steel rings on my target guns.
On most of my hunting rifles i use Vortex Viper aluminium rings. (discontinued)

With Vortex discontinuing their vertically split rings, i've gone with EGW Keystone rings.
Still fairly light weight, but seem really overbuilt!
I have 2 sets now, and really like them!
Plus living in PA, and EGW being in PA, i'm supporting a local business.

Sako ring mounts are amazing. The engineering and design can’t be beat. The inner ring design design allows for a perfectly aligned scope.

I’ve switched most of my rifles to the Hawkins Hybrids and will continue to use them. They are extremely well made and solid.

There really are no best scope rings as best is strictly based on one’s opinion. Honestly, there are way too many variables to consider for anyone to deem a specific set of rings as being the “best”. Those variable include:

• Rifle/shotgun model (As rings and/or bases are very rifle or shotgun specific)
  • Scope tube size
  • Scope bell size
  • Desired mounting height
  • Desired eye relief (as some ring set-ups will limit the adjustability which may limit the amount of eye relief).

Lightweight I go with Talley LWs or Leupold backcountry. If I didnt want LW then Talley fixed or Warnes. Some of my older rifles have Leupolds. Never had any issues with any bases or rings I got from these companies.

I know this isn't a popular choice, but I run a DNZ one piece. I own 3 rifles (7mm-08, 45-70, 300WM). I have DNZ Game Reaper mounts/rings on all three and I've never had any type of issue. One single piece has always made a ton of sense to me bc there's less to go wrong.

Funny thing about rifle's and the extras for them. Seems the idea of light weight has turned into a click! Light weight rifles, I can't imagine shooting a 6# 300 magnum! Not gonna be long before the term light weight will be applied to a scope either. But the most ridicules' thing I ever heard is light weight scope mounts! How much weight does a light weight set save you over a heavy weight set? Boy if light weight scope mount's are gonna make a difference I'd strongly suggest backing away from the table sooner! I had a set of Redfield one piece base and rings on a rifle years ago. I couldn't tell the difference after they were put on from before! have a similar set of Leupolds on a rifle now and same thing. Put them on the rifle and pick it up, can't tell they are there other than I can see them! I got those set's for only one reason, I bought into the idea that the one piece base helped strengthen the action. Well maybe and maybe not. I never had any way of really telling! These days the thing I look for rings and base's to do on a rifle is hold the scope where it's supposed to be and it seems all of them do that! In my mind it's simply that some cost less and look better doing it and!

Funny thing about rifle's and the extras for them. Seems the idea of light weight has turned into a click! Light weight rifles, I can't imagine shooting a 6# 300 magnum! Not gonna be long before the term light weight will be applied to a scope either. But the most ridicules' thing I ever heard is light weight scope mounts! How much weight does a light weight set save you over a heavy weight set? Boy if light weight scope mount's are gonna make a difference I'd strongly suggest backing away from the table sooner! I had a set of Redfield one piece base and rings on a rifle years ago. I couldn't tell the difference after they were put on from before! have a similar set of Leupolds on a rifle now and same thing. Put them on the rifle and pick it up, can't tell they are there other than I can see them! I got those set's for only one reason, I bought into the idea that the one piece base helped strengthen the action. Well maybe and maybe not. I never had any way of really telling! These days the thing I look for rings and base's to do on a rifle is hold the scope where it's supposed to be and it seems all of them do that! In my mind it's simply that some cost less and look better doing it and!
I’ve seen plenty of standard Leupold windage adjustable rings crack/ sheer off from recoil but many people love to use them. Also they certainly aren’t machined very well and usually require a bit of lapping.
A good quality set of rings and bases definitely has advantages. I’ve removed a scope and mounts before and reassembled and the scope was still almost exactly zeroed without any adjustment. I do also bed most of my bases to ensure a good fit as many times it’s only contacting the action on the outer edges of the base.

I have been shooting about 65 yrs now and not one time have I seen a set of rings or bases crack. But failure can happen with any product from time to time. I would guess that if rings or base's cracked under recoil then something was not installed right!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back