Riggins Idaho whitetail advice

nvhunter2

My 13yo son has a Jr mentor tag for whitetail. Going with his grandpa to Riggins. I have never been there, grandpa has been a couple of times and i have other relatives that have been there some. I'm just asking to maybe get some places to look that might hold a decent buck (or at least some bucks). Don't expect anyone to give up a super secret spot and not asking for anyone to. He's only 13 but has a huge sense of what hunting and family are all about and would like to kill a decent buck with his grandpas old 30-30. Thanks in advance!!

What deer unit is the WT tag good for? I've hunted 19A and 23 quite a bit which are just east of Riggins and south of the Salmon River. Both units are good for whitetail along the river, although the country is steep. I've attached a couple photos of the last buck I shot there for reference.

Attachments

• 2002 Idaho Hunts 001.jpg
    2002 Idaho Hunts 001.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 2,838
  • 2002 Idaho Hunts 002.jpg
    2002 Idaho Hunts 002.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 2,329
I killed a whitetail in unit 18 the other day up to riggins, saw 2 bucks, shot 1 of them, seen 2 bucks one of which was a whopper packing my buck out the next day, just about every drainage holds whitetails up there.....I just spend time behind the glass to find them...im sure if you find a good scrape line, using a tree stand would work well too in some of the thicker areas that hold bucks..

Just talked to dad last night, we will be hunting 18. He knows about Race creek and Slate creek already. Gato if you dont mind would you send me a pm, i would really like to get him a mounter if we can. Thanks guys

NV, I am no means and expert at whitetail, I just use the same tactics i do muley hunting and glass...1 reason I hunt them before there rut on a general tag is cause there still lazy and you can glass them out feeding or bed 1 down, giving you time to make the stalk. I have hunted them in the rut up there and they dont hold, there constantly on the move, looking for hot does and by the time u glass them and try to cut them off, there usually long gone......I have never shot a "mounter" whitey...i have seen a couple up there over the yrs but never in the position to pull the trigger, you would have to talk to a "whitetail" hunter to really get the scoop on how to hunt them probably....

This buck was taken about 5 years ago in 19A. So they are out there. Like Gato said. Hunt the breaks of the River.

picture.php

Back