Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifle you aren't quite happy with

I’ve been having trouble out of my Rem 700 30-06 ADL. It’s a gun I’ve owned for thirty years and just can’t part with it. I’ve ordered a magpul stock, magazine and trigger guard. I’ve replaced the factory trigger with a Timney Trigger. I’m hoping to get at least a one inch group 400 yards.
A 1" group at 400 yards!? I think you're going to be disappointed. Get it shooting 1" at 100 yards and you'll have all the hunting rifle you need and then some. I had one of those for a while. They're not fancy, but good rifles.

A 1" group at 400 yards!? I think you're going to be disappointed. Get it shooting 1" at 100 yards and you'll have all the hunting rifle you need and then some. I had one of those for a while. They're not fancy, but good rifles.
😂 I meant 100! I have my glasses on now! It was shooting 3” groups at 100 before with the wood stock!

had some encore barrels that were not what they should of been . one was a 708 it was sent back to TC i then traded it NIB for a 7mag ,then someone wanted to trade that for a 300 mag that barrel had a head space problem .that went back to TC it was replaced with a good one . my first 209-50 had a bad EZ -load crown which i then had cut off .someone wanted it so i sold it .then got a different one .it will lap holes out to 2 hundred yds

Every rifle I own I got something I wish was different. Shorter barrel,different chambering, thinner stock or a pound lighter. Maybe I wish it had a metal coating or a Mc Millan edge stock. That said I have a few that I really like despite the minor things I might like different. The more I use a rifle the more fond I tend to get of it and the less I focus on the minor things that would make it that perfect rifle for me.

If I don't like/use a gun I sell it. That's just me. I realize I'm probably in the minority in this way of thinking and because of that I don't have a lot of guns, but I do have some good ones. I will build/tinker/work on a gun to make it exactly how I want it, but I usually have that plan in mind before purchasing the gun. If I can't get it exactly like I want it it's going down the road.

Browning X bolt 7mm mag. Did everything to that rifle to make it shoot. It was a spray gun. Down the road. And Savage rifles. Everyone brags on accuracy, I own several and now all have a non savage barrel on them. THAT is the only reason I will ever buy another one, I now have the tools and ability to change my own barrels. A ruger American in 22-250-----it may not be able to stay with me because of accuracy issues---maybe ill throw a new barrel on it. And YES, I am very demanding on the accuracy of my rifles

Take your hunting rifle, go to the bench fire 1 round. Go home, come back the next day. Fire one round, go home. Come back the third day, fire one round. That's your group. Only the first shot matters. Only a cold bore shot matters. Better yet if you don't fire from a bench, prone or leaning against a tree. Works best if you can do that from home but I know that isn't possible for everyone. With pencil barrels give it a long time in between shots.

Take your hunting rifle, go to the bench fire 1 round. Go home, come back the next day. Fire one round, go home. Come back the third day, fire one round. That's your group. Only the first shot matters. Only a cold bore shot matters. Better yet if you don't fire from a bench, prone or leaning against a tree. Works best if you can do that from home but I know that isn't possible for everyone. With pencil barrels give it a long time in between shots.
Truth, but I don't think you are supposed to say that on the internet.

If said pencil barrel is mounted correctly, it won't matter that it warms up.

If the thing about the rifle that doesn't do it for you can be remedied and you like the other aspects of the rifle, i address that one issue.

After spending a bunch of money on various rifles that are a compromise on what I'd want exactly, i'm done doing anything but buying/building exactly what I want. I'm usually end up unsatisfied and still have a bunch of $ invested.

All of the back and forth trying to decide to mod or sell it has given me the build bug. Rather than hack away at a truly nice rifle, I finally decided to let that one go. Think I'll try my hands at putting one together with a custom action soon. Either way I hope to send some rounds down range with the new rifle this week and see how that goes.

If I like the way a rifle feels then I'll work with it a bit. If not, I send it down the road. I've sent all my Remington actions down the road. They're not worth my time. I prefer rifles that shoot most ammo well and my reloads even better than that.

My old Springfield started throwing flyers and I finally had to acknowledge the barrel was shot. It was late WWII production with only two land rifling and badly corroded. I'm surprised I killed as many animals I did with it over the last fifty years. Never considered replacing the gun. Dad built it for me and it fits like a glove. So I replaced the barrel last summer. Also changed the scope to 3x9x40, replaced the dicey Buehler safety, and dumped Weaver rings and bases for quality Warne quick detach rings and a rail. I'm about to finish adding optional iron sights and then it will be shipped off for rebluing. I also cleaned up some of the rough machining in the action. It is very slick now. I turned a good quality hunting rifle into something special ... or rather more special.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back