Rifle Scope recommendation for Pronghorn Hunting?

Wilson Daddy

Hey guys,
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this question, but since you guys already have experience hunting Pronghorns, I was wondering what scope would you recommend for my 308 rifle? I've been looking around for a 308 scope that has long eye relief, image focusing and parallax adjustment. The scope that I found online was the Vortex Optics Diamondback. Thoughts or recommendations?

Probably the better question is, what rifle do you use for Pronghorn hunting and what scope?

For deer and antelope I use a Remington 700 BDL 7mm RM with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 30 mm tube Wind-plex.

I am by NO means and expert, but I like my set up. There are countless combinations of, rifles, calibers, bullets and scopes, but my Tikka .270 with a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10x40 has been perfect for me.

I prefer Leupold scopes, without parallax adjustment. I just like to keep things simple in a hunting rifle. My Browning A bolt in 270 Win. has a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 with the Long Range Duplex reticle. I really like having the holdover points for shooting at 300 to 500 yards, and I believe it's more reliable than twisting turrets. They don't make the VX-1 or VX-2 anymore, but it's been replaced with the "Freedom." I'd recommend the Freedom in the 3-9x40 with the Tri-MOA reticle for $220. Or you can go with the 4-12 if you feel like you need more magnification, but I've always done just fine with the 3-9's. The 4-12 won't have the eye relief that the 3-9 has.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019637556/leupold-vx-freedom-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-matte

I used a Leupold VX-5 on my recent hunt. It performed really well, but, truth be told, it wasn't really necessary for that particular situation. Prior to getting the VX-5, I used a Leupold VX-3i on that particular rifle for a couple of years and it would have also worked just fine.

Tikka .270WSM with Leupold VX2 6-18 x40. Not that I try to shoot ever beyond 400 yrds and really like under 200, with goats you never know and may need to reach a ways.

I've never hunted antelope with a scope that has a magnification over 10x. The last 2 antelope I've killed were lined up through an old Vari-x-III in 1.5-5x. Magnification doesn't bring an animal any closer to you and most people would do just fine with a fixed 4-6x for all big game hunting.

I usually use a .308 Win or 7mm-08 for antelope.

Tikka .270WSM with Leupold VX2 6-18 x40. Not that I try to shoot ever beyond 400 yrds and really like under 200, with goats you never know and may need to reach a ways.

I have the same scope with WindPlex reticle, but didn't use it this year. For critters up close it can be hard to find them with such a narrow FOV at 18x. IMO, better to have more than you need than to need more than you have.

Back