Rifle for the Wife

Currently shooting 139 gn Barnes lrx. 45.5 gn of RL17, cci 200 primer, Hornady or Norma brass. I had a Barnes rep tell me you can use IMR 4350 data straight across for RL17. Barnes now gives load data for RL17. Alliant also has load data on their site for commom style bullets and weights. I have never tried RL17 with Accubonds.

Varget and 7mm-08 are like milk and cookies, can't go wrong. I've had good success with 140 accubonds and Nosler brass out of a youth gun w/ 20 inch barrel. Hope she likes it. One word of caution for a new shooter with a light rifle in 7mm08, my experience is not "bad" recoil but it is "jumpy" off the bench due to light weight gun. If I had to due it over with my kids I would attach a bipod for weight or maybe a lead sled to start.

Varget and 7mm-08 are like milk and cookies, can't go wrong. I've had good success with 140 accubonds and Nosler brass out of a youth gun w/ 20 inch barrel. Hope she likes it. One word of caution for a new shooter with a light rifle in 7mm08, my experience is not "bad" recoil but it is "jumpy" off the bench due to light weight gun. If I had to due it over with my kids I would attach a bipod for weight or maybe a lead sled to start.
The Howa I purchased has a 20” barrel and I thought that it might be a little jumpy as well. I figure I’ll shoot it a bit and depending on what the recoil is like I may have a brake installed on it.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I took everyone's opinions into consideration and happened to find a deal on a rifle that met my requirements. Ended up ordering a Howa 1500 Youth in 7mm-08 for $300. Looking forward to getting it setup and developing a load for 140 grain Accubonds. Anyone have any recommendations on what powders to try?

Sounds like a good deal, congratulations

If anyone else reads this thread and is still looking for a rifle for a female in their family. I got a Weatherby Camilla 7mm-08 for my granddaughter and it has worked very well for her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back