Rifle Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice for 2023

"Chuck hawks is all I need to read" is know as a ad hominen. It is a arguement one uses when they have no cogent response.
I watched 3 elk last year shot. If you want energy numbers which don’t mean shit I’ll give them to you. All were shot + or - 10 yards of 250 yards. One bull and two cows. Bull was shot with a bullet that generated 1900ftlbs at 250. The cows were shot with a rifle that generates almost 3700ftlbs of energy at 250 yards. All three were elk that were calm and had no idea we were there. All were placed behind the shoulder. The one shot with 1900ftlbs traveled the least amount of distance before tipping over. All died within 50 yards.

I watched 3 elk last year shot. If you want energy numbers which don’t mean shit I’ll give them to you. All were shot + or - 10 yards of 250 yards. One bull and two cows. Bull was shot with a bullet that generated 1900ftlbs at 250. The cows were shot with a rifle that generates almost 3700ftlbs of energy at 250 yards. All three were elk that were calm and had no idea we were there. All were placed behind the shoulder. The one shot with 1900ftlbs traveled the least amount of distance before tipping over. All died within 50 yards.
Yea but that’s only because the bull was bad at math. If he had his calculator with him you never would’ve recovered it.

I didn't, but let me clarify:
Creedmoor 140 AB 2650 MV = 2041 ftlbs at 50 yards (less than 100)
308 win 180 AB 2650 MV = 1984 ftlbs at 250 yards

If your pedigree is greater than Chuck Hawks why are you writing on hunt talk and not making money from your vast knowledge base?
So, what do you and Chuck Hawks think about a 7-08 shooting a 140 accubond at 2850 fps and an elk at 620 yards?

DSC00699.JPG

All I can tell you, this one hated it. Distance traveled after it was hit (pass through broad side) was the length of the blood smeared in the snow.

IIRC, the foot pounds of energy may have been less than 1000.

So, what do you and Chuck Hawks think about a 7-08 shooting a 140 accubond at 2850 fps and an elk at 620 yards?

DSC00699.JPG

All I can tell you, this one hated it. Distance traveled after it was hot (pass through broad side) was the length of the blood smeared in the snow.

IIRC, the foot pounds of energy may have been less than 1000.
Stunt shooter. mtmuley

Whats wrong q

What's wrong with the Creedmoor. My 9yr old now 10 harvested a elk last year at 526 with his youth rifle on a youth encouragement tag in New mexico. My now 19yr old killed 7 cows and 1.bull with a 243 and none went more than 10 yards
There's the guy you were looking for....

FWIW - 7mmRM with 131 HH @ 3650fps.
I just worked up this load. I've had two range sessions with it. Unless I get more trigger time with it I will keep it to 200-250.

Plan B is 264MW with 118HHT Hammers. Still working on this load. I've used 140 Sierra GK Boattails in this rifle to kill 4 elk out to 400 yards.

Howdy Everyone. Here's what I have for our rifle choices during the 2023 Elk Hunts. Thanks for all who participated. There's some interesting data hidden down in here for you to ponder.
View attachment 282641

Of those who responded, the guy who's likely most knowledgeable/competent when it comes to hitting his target is using the smallest cartridge.

Of those who responded, the guy who's likely most knowledgeable/competent when it comes to hitting his target is using the smallest cartridge.
A bad hit on an elk is bad no matter the cartridge. Shooting the smallest one possible in no way makes a hunter more knowledgeable or competent in hitting a target. mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back