Reward for Illegal ATV Abuse

Ben Long

NEWS RELEASE Date, Sept. 12, 2011

Sportsmen’s group offers reward for illegal ATV abuse

Jim Akenson, Executive Director, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Joseph Ore. 541-398-2636

Holly Endersby, Conservation Director, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Pollock, Idaho 208-628-3956

JOSEPH, ORE. — The national Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is announcing a reward aimed at stopping lawbreakers who disturb public land, water and wildlife on motor vehicles such as All-Terrain Vehicles.
“All-terrain vehicles are popular and powerful tools, with a valid place on our national forests,” said Jim Akenson, executive director. “However, these tools are too often abused, impacting habitat and hunting opportunities.”
For several years, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers has offered rewards to people who report people who drive behind gates, vandalize the land or harass wildlife on all-terrain vehicles. The BHA board recently reauthorized this fund.
“We need motorized access to our public lands, but at the same time we need habitat totally separate from the noise and disturbance that comes with motor vehicles,” Akenson said. “When people drive behind closed gates, shoot from vehicles or trespass on private land, it gives all hunters a black eye. We need to police our own ranks.”
Following the law benefits both outdoorsmen who use ATVs responsibly and those who prefer traditional hike-in hunting or hunting with stock, he said.
BHA offers a reward up to $1000 for information that leads to the conviction of any one abusing land or water open to public hunting or fishing. For example, in the past, the BHA reward went to a Montana hunter who used a remote trail camera to document illegal riding in protected big game habitat. Another BHA member in Montana reported an outfitter who was illegally shuttling clients into a non-motorized area with a helicopter, prompting the outfitter to stop this practice.
Akenson urged anyone seeing illegal behavior this hunting season to record all pertinent information and pass it on to a state game warden or national forest law enforcement officer.
“Responsible riding means recognizing that there are some places our machines do not belong,” said BHA Conservation Director Holly Endersby. “Our land, water and wildlife belong to all of us and need to be used carefully and respectfully.”
Learn more at www.backcountryhunters.org. There, please download a new whitepaper on the biological impacts of poorly managed ATV traffic on land, water and wildlife located at the bottom of the home page.

###

Awesome! I hate it that people take ATVs into areas that we have to work our butts off to get to. Studies show that the noise these machines produce run elk out of the country, and the spread of noxious weeds replacing native grasses is a big deal in my neck of the woods. Illegal ATV use hurts responsible hunters and I can't wait to bust some fat jackass on his Rascal Scooter and get a reward for it!

Hello Ben,
Just a thought about the reward - go to the source of the problem- send this notice to all atv groups or to their web sites-that way they can police their own and it would cut down on abuse and the rewards BHA pays out.
good luck this fall
joe

Sounds like a good way to make a few dollars to put toward tag fees. There's certainly no shortage of idiots who have watched enough TV commercials to think that they're not really riding unless they're going wherever they want and tearing s**t up while doing it.

Thanks guys. The reward program is getting some good publicity. We've sent the news release to about 200 outdoors reporters around the West, including some ATV publications. Learn more about BHA at backcountryhunters.org. Have a great fall!

Thanks guys. The reward program is getting some good publicity. We've sent the news release to about 200 outdoors reporters around the West, including some ATV publications. Learn more about BHA at backcountryhunters.org. Have a great fall!

Should we report drug runners who use ATV's.. Or just Hunters?:confused:

Is this really that big of a problem out West? We have more trouble with the golf cart drivers on the highways and streets than we do with illegal ATV riders.

I often wish I had a fork lift on the front of my truck so I could run up behind some of those golf carts and lift 'em out of the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this really that big of a problem out West? We have more trouble with the golf cart drivers on the highways and streets than we do with illegal ATV riders.

I often wish I had a fork lift on the front of my truck so I could run up behind some of those golf carts and lift 'em out of the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at the Az Game & Fish Map...Follow the "blue line"..[ region 5 map] units 29/30/34/35/36, etc...look at the area's that are "homeland security issues".. that means the U.S.A. is breached by smugglers/bandits and other Scum... yes they use ATV's.. 4x4's anything that will carry drugs and human cargo... they could care less about hunting and OUR habitat.. this Fact is often neglected in the border debate....:W:

Give me the "old farts" in Sun City anytime..golf carts rock

Last edited:
I knew about the problems with the illegals in the border states, but had no idea there were other areas with problems.

I don't have a problem with seniors in areas like Sun City, or Hilton Head, but these aren't senior citizens who drive their golf carts on the streets and highways of this rural area where I live. These are soccer moms going to the grocery store!

Along the lines of this thread

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/10/14/outdoors/get_your_forest_service_motorized_route_maps_fish_and_game

The unit I drew for elk has a high number of hunters, and if it was accessible by an ATV, they were doing it...jumping 18-in diameter windfalls up well used game trails just to try and get their lazy asses up ahead of the foot traffic. Very, very disappointing. Like anything, I know this situation doesn't apply to all of those that have ATV's, but it applies to enough of them to make it extremely sickening.

Here in MT ATV'ers cause problems for elk hunters in several ways. Sometimes people cut illegal trails so they can ride into the back country. More commonly, ATV users illegally get behind gates on logging roads that have been closed to increase elk security. There have been studies that show that engine noise associated with ATV's cause elk to pick up and completely move to different areas. It is lame to hike, bike or ride a horse ten miles and have some fat turd ride by in an area they shouldn't be in.

There have been studies that show that engine noise associated with ATV's cause elk to pick up and completely move to different areas. .

There are also areas that have massive multiple use including chainsaws going, hikers, bikers, and people target practicing and the elk are right among all of this activity. It really depends on the area. If someone illegally takes a wheeler in the wilderness then more than likely it will scare off the animals but if the elk are born and raised in the areas I mentioned earlier, nothing fazes them.
I'm not for opening up more areas to wheelers but I'm not against having places for them to go either. If I want the wilderness experience then I head there. If I find one in a spot it shouldn't I write down the plate or sticker number and call it in.

There are also areas that have massive multiple use including chainsaws going, hikers, bikers, and people target practicing and the elk are right among all of this activity.

Until someone starts shooting at them. ;)

I'm not for opening up more areas to wheelers but I'm not against having places for them to go either.

Agreed. Everybody deserves a place on public lands. Finding that balance is a difficult job. Often times, user groups refuse to work on a compromise or collaborative level and simply sue, etc, to get their way. However, areas with low ORV use often tend to hold elk longer than areas with high ORV use, especially during the hunting season.

Habitat security is more than just thermal cover and dense stands of pines: It's where elk feel safe. That means it's private ground, out in the open, where they won't get shot, next to a campground where there is no hunting, or deep in a roadless area where they are waiting until dark to continue their migration.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back