Return MT big game combo?

I think you can if you failed to draw a special elk permit, but you might have to indicate that you want to return the tag before the drawing

If you don't draw the permit you can elect to have the whole combo returned.

So, if you put in for a permit for elk and for deer and elect to have your permit returned if you don't draw the elk, and then don't draw the elk your combo will be returned and you will be withdrawn from the deer draw.

You could return your combo and then by a deer combo, if one was available. (I don't think there will be deer combos this year, and if there are it's first come first server so it's risky
Return by Aug 1 80% refund
Return by after Aug 1 but before the season starts 50%

You would come out ahead... but you have a good chance of not having any tag.
$1065*.80-$639= $213

Willm, Last year I had friends turn back the elk portion and keep the deer if they did not draw 900-20.

Willm, Last year I had friends turn back the elk portion and keep the deer if they did not draw 900-20.

This is incorrect. What happened was they designated on their application to have their combo refunded if they didn't draw the permit and have it exchanged for a deer combination. The caveat here is that deer combos aren't reserved (or at least weren't last year) so it's possible there won't be one available for exchange.

This is exactly what happened to me in 2017.

Montana has a bad habit of allowing NR to apply for things that don't actually exists, careful with those sheep applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once it's issued no you can't. You can make that selection when you put in the application prior to the draw but not after does that make sense?

Willm, I think that when you retain the deer licence and turn back the elk. FWP issues you a deer combo and takes the elk portion and sells it as an elk combo. The two combined are part of the 17000 deer elk combo limit and your deer combo does not count against the 4600 deer combo quota. If you draw a deer/elk combo and return the elk portion you should be guaranteed a deer combo as it is part of the 17000 deer/elk combo licences you just drew and not part of the 4600 deer combo licenses .

Willm, I think that when you retain the deer licence and turn back the elk. FWP issues you a deer combo and takes the elk portion and sells it as an elk combo. The two combined are part of the 17000 deer elk combo limit and your deer combo does not count against the 4600 deer combo quota. If you draw a deer/elk combo and return the elk portion you should be guaranteed a deer combo as it is part of the 17000 deer/elk combo licences you just drew and not part of the 4600 deer combo licenses .
100% accurate .

Now I'm confused maybe I've had this all wrong before. So you guys are saying if I decided today to return only the elk portion of my deer/elk combo I could get the elk portion refund of $323.00 and keep the deer tag?
I was always under the impression that was only an option to choose before the draw happened but once drawn I could only return the deer/elk combo between the issuing of the tags and beginning of the general season for the different amounts based on date/reason for returns.
I have my form completed laying here now thinking about turning it in because of a possible job change and NM trip in late Oct.

100% accurate .

Please correct were applicable.

Is this how it works?

5,000 apply for deer permits alone
13,000 apply for big elk tags alone
5,000 apply for big game combos + elk permits

Draw commences, all the deer combos (4,600) are drawn. 13,000 elk combos and 4,000 big game combos are drawn (17,000)

Permit draw happens after that 2000 permits are drawn, 2000 are not, 1000 didn't draw combos and therefore were withdrawn from the permit draw.

At this point all the big game combos/elk and all deer combos have been sold.

All of the 2,000 individuals who didn't draw a permit request a refund + deer combo.

If MFWP were to resale the "elk" portion of the combo there would now be 13,000 elk combos, 2000 big game combos + 2000 additional elk combos + 2000 1/2 ?? deer combos + 4600 deer combos.

------------------------------
Policies may have changed since 2017, all I can tell you is I drew a combo, did not draw a permit, had my license refunded was not given a deer combo and my permit was withdrawn. If they fixed this kudos to them.

I was always under the impression that was only an option to choose before the draw happened but once drawn I could only return the deer/elk combo between the issuing of the tags and beginning of the general season for the different amounts based on date/reason for returns.
I have my form completed laying here now thinking about turning it in because of a possible job change and NM trip in late Oct.

This ^ is correct, post draw you can only get an 80% refund on the combo and then try and get a returned or left over deer tag.

We are trying to sus out how the permit/ refund works during the draw.

Now I'm confused maybe I've had this all wrong before. So you guys are saying if I decided today to return only the elk portion of my deer/elk combo I could get the elk portion refund of $323.00 and keep the deer tag?
No . If you return now you return the entire thing - you have to decide at app time if your going to keep your tags if you don’t draw a permit . For the big game combo you can decide to keep the deer and return elk but that decision has to be made at app time

This ^ is correct, post draw you can only get an 80% refund on the combo and then try and get a returned or left over deer tag.

We are trying to sus out how the permit/ refund works during the draw.
You’ll only get a returned tag if you signed up for the alternates list and that deadline was June 1?

Good talk boys.

Montana should add some more complexity to their system.

If you all, who think about this stuff 10x more than most hunters, can’t agree on it, imagine how lost everyone else must be.

You think MTs bad try and buy a bear tag in CO, but you aren’t wrong.

No . If you return now you return the entire thing - you have to decide at app time if your going to keep your tags if you don’t draw a permit . For the big game combo you can decide to keep the deer and return elk but that decision has to be made at app time

That's what I thought guess I read to much into one of the post above. I was assuming the OP meant if he returned combo today could be get a partial refund.

Good talk boys.

Montana should add some more complexity to their system.

If you all, who think about this stuff 10x more than most hunters, can’t agree on it, imagine how lost everyone else must be.

I'm sure they will in the many years I've applied nothing has ever gotten easier to understand. I couldn't imagine the confusion of a new hunter trying to figure those messes out in some states. Virginia isn't getting any easier either they just add to the add to the added. Lmao

I'm sure they will in the many years I've applied nothing has ever gotten easier to understand. I couldn't imagine the confusion of a new hunter trying to figure those messes out in some states. Virginia isn't getting any easier either they just add to the add to the added. Lmao
What tag in New Mexico did you draw ? Hate to see anyone return a tag but hey maybe I’ll get it if you do ! Good luck

Back