Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
In the chance that you do a little 220 sandpaper will take it out.Make sure you cover the bone/skull well with plastic bag and duct tape to not let any of the wax or oil on the skull itself.
What are my ratios?The only correct way to do it is the same way the animals do it.
Mix these..
View attachment 418927View attachment 418928View attachment 418929
Then apply heavily with this..
View attachment 418930
Let sit a day or two then work over with something like one of these..
View attachment 418931
Wtf you talking about?How do you handle blending across the natural antler section, do you worry about over darkening the natural section?
What do you mean degreasing? Like dawn dish soap and hot water?A dash of this and a pinch of that, whatever makes it apply easy. Dead serious about the sticks - I cut a branch off my alder or lilac bushes that have good green bark - maybe 3/4” diameter. Just wipe them off or brush them afterwards. The degreasing is the magic trick and I haven’t found a way that’s fast. They always look great at first - but if you skip degreasing some animals turn yellow eventually. I don’t degrease elk. Almost all bears will turn yellow if not degreased, it’s a 3-6 month process. Most people don’t give a shit.
Yeah - it’s the key, and I mean KEY for them to look good permanently. You can redo it later but it can be a pain in the ass. Here’s an example..What do you mean degreasing? Like dawn dish soap and hot water?

I’ve got a dozen huge antelope that are bondoed onto skulls that I didn’t degrease. It’s a total bummer. I’m testing what 6 months in hot soapy water does to horns. It doesn’t look like it’ll mess with them much but my acetone experiment wasn’t great.I swap between ammonia and dish soap when I’m degreasing. So much easier to degrease skulls without antlers that fit in a five gallon bucket


I’m gonna leave that in there for 6 months and I’ll report back. I predict it’ll be just fine, but acetone totally removes color. acetone might not hurt the horn texture and some stain would fix the color thing - not sure.Man that’s wild. I would’ve for sure predicted even several days in luke warm water would mess with antelope horns
Do you change the water daily? I only degrease for about a week. Seems to be plenty for elk, but I can tell my deer skulls could stand to be degreased for longer. I change the water daily but doing it every day for months would be a pain.I’ve got a dozen huge antelope that are bondoed onto skulls that I didn’t degrease. It’s a total bummer. I’m testing what 6 months in hot soapy water does to horns. It doesn’t look like it’ll mess with them much but my acetone experiment wasn’t great.
Testing on a couple of my own dinks as experiment.
72 hours in acetone won’t degrease but will turn antelope horns white.
View attachment 418958
Soap for 2 months and no horn damage yet.
View attachment 418959
Only change water when it’s starts to smell bad enough to bother people in the house. When you first start, even if they’ve been in your house and totally fine zero smell for decades - they’ll smell when grease comes out. It takes a week or two, then later you can go longer. You’ll see the grease floating and sticking to the edges of the container. The 100+ gallons of water consumption is from the evaporation. I usually add 5 gallons or so every 3-4 days. I’m at 94 degrees- max for my fish tank heater.Do you change the water daily? I only degrease for about a week. Seems to be plenty for elk, but I can tell my deer skulls could stand to be degreased for longer. I change the water daily but doing it every day for months would be a pain.