Responsible Breeding

AlaskaHunter

For potential puppy buyers, CHIC certification is a good indicator the breeder responsibly factors good health into their selection criteria.
Both the Bitch and Sire should be tested prior to breeding.
I've seen Hip Displasia and Exercise Induced Collapse over the years in labs
where the owner fell in love with the pup and did not know about
preventable health problems by testing the parents.

For example, with Labrador retrievers, testing both parents for:
ScreeningTesting options
Hip DysplasiaOFA Radiographic Hip Evaluation
Elbow DysplasiaOFA Radiographic Elbow Evaluation
ACVO Eye ExamACVO Eye Examination. Results registered with OFA.
EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse)EXERCISE INDUCED COLLAPSE - DNA based test from an approved lab
D Locus (Dilute) DNA TestDNA based D LOCUS results from an approved lab
Centronuclear Myopathy(Optional but recommended)
DNA Based CNM Test - results registered with the OFA
Cardiac Evaluation(Optional but recommended)
Advanced Cardiac Exam
Standard Congenital Cardiac Exam. Results registered with OFA.
Basic Cardiac Exam
prcd-PRA DNA Test(Optional but recommended)
DNA based prcd-PRA test from a licensed lab - results registered with the OFA

I've had two litters of golden retriever puppies, and can tell you I do not get asked about health clearances very often. I do have a website with pertinent info listed, but the average puppy buyer is not well versed on the available genetic tests for the respective breeds.

I've had two litters of golden retriever puppies, and can tell you I do not get asked about health clearances very often. I do have a website with pertinent info listed, but the average puppy buyer is not well versed on the available genetic tests for the respective breeds.
About half or so of the interested buyers of my litters ask about it. We have all the paperwork in a binder that we show every buyer when they show up to pick out a puppy to show them we take it very seriously.

Not trying to derail this discussion, but in terms of responsible breeding, what qualities do you look for in a prospective female? My dad and I have discussed the possibility of maybe breeding his female someday. Admittedly, neither one of us has any experience breeding dogs. We’re also not looking at breeding her as a money making opportunity.

Of course I didn’t check the forum topic before clicking on this. Couldn’t help but think of all the people with kids that shouldn’t have been allowed to reproduce

Great thread. I haven't bought a hunting dog in years but may in a year or two. Recently was dealing with lapdogs my wife at the time would get. Now that the wife is now an ex, kids away at college I'm thinking of getting a hunting dog. This is great info.

Back