PEAX Equipment

Report out

Very sad. Feel so terrible for MU’s family. I hope they’re doing as well as could be expected. The client as well. IMO it’s easy for us to armchair what he should have done. But I don’t think any of us that haven’t been in a situation like that know how we would truly react. If I had to guess he’ll be what iffing this tragedy and his actions during it for the rest of his life. Just a terrible situation all around.

I read the linked article by Max Werner as well and don't agree with him at all. This was an unusual attack in that the bears had not already claimed the carcass (there was NO evidence of them being at the kill site prior to the attack). For him to claim otherwise is ludicrous...Werner is making things up. The wildlife officials the investigated stated that they have not seen this type of attack before. Werner's article states he read it 12 times and couldn't figure out why they thought it was not common...but it was right in there and simple to find. Reading the Werner article about his assumptions about what "could" have happened or what the bears may have been thinking really got me frustrated for this whole process.

Anecdotally I have talked to 2 different groups of hunters who have been on a carcass when bears have come in on them and aggressively tried to claim the carcass. Both were fresh carcasses that had not been previously claimed by the bear. They screamed, fired guns, threw rocks, etc. to scare the bears off and no one was injured, but if they had not done those things it might have ended differently.

I believe that is the type of attack that the meateater crew encountered as well this past year on Afognak.

I don't believe that these types of encounters are that uncommon, I do believe that these types of encounters have not typically ended in injuries or death though.

The guide should have had that Glock on his person and in battery or at least had it in battery and had the hunter holding it after showing him how to use it. Reading the report IMHO shows the guide was lax in an area with a lot of bears. Attacks happen too fast to not have the spray/gun for immediate use by one, or both of them. Either may have stopped the attack before fatal wounds occurred.

The guide should have had that Glock on his person and in battery or at least had it in battery and had the hunter holding it after showing him how to use it. Reading the report IMHO shows the guide was lax in an area with a lot of bears. Attacks happen too fast to not have the spray/gun for immediate use by one, or both of them. Either may have stopped the attack before fatal wounds occurred.

The guide had his spray available to him. It was on his hip, and readily accessible. I personally always keep someone on watch if I am working on an elk in griz country, but I can't say how I'd react in this instance because I've never been in the situation. It's definitely a sad deal, and it will likely affect the hunter for a long time.

This was a difficult read. Especially with such a vivid picture painted in the article. Surprised the guide didn't immediately pull his spray although I have no idea how I would react in the same situation and I have both a gun and spray on my hip.

Another thought, should a hunter in this situation have a basic understanding on how to operate a firearm? or should a guide ask "you familiar with how to operate one of these?"

NOTE, I am not trying to blame or offend, just asking a question.

Last edited:
IMHO as stated before, not even having a round chambered in that Glock in that dangerous scenario when he's working on a dead elk along with the hunter obviously having not been told how to chamber a round along with dropping the magazine out by mistake led to a dead guide. Not actually having it on one of them and having to get it out of the holster laying on the pack away from them was even worse when an attack happens in the blink of an eye.

IMHO as stated before, not even having a round chambered in that Glock in that dangerous scenario when he's working on a dead elk along with the hunter obviously having not been told how to chamber a round along with dropping the magazine out by mistake led to a dead guide. Not actually having it on one of them and having to get it out of the holster laying on the pack away from them was even worse when an attack happens in the blink of an eye.
I agree with that opinion, and furthermore sadly point out that the client's bear spray was in his backpack, not as easily grabbed as the handgun. Easy to critique after the fact and not having been involved, but still it seems the bear spray would have been the best option and one not having to risk shooting the guide, other than with spray.
Personally, my bear spray is right in front and on my hip in bear country, even more easily drawn than my water bottle.

it's clear the hunter had no experience with Glocks which do not have a safety. article mentions he ejected the magazine while trying to disengage the safety

While I carry loaded, and bear spray on the hip, and have a sentinel when in griz country, my big takeaway is to never be complacent in that country. Maybe that's my USMC time talking, but you can't let your guard down.

I believe there was a similar incident in Montana about 20 yrs ago. Clearwater/Blackfoot area I think. A hunter dressing an elk was killed. We’ve all been guilty of complacency and will be again. It’s unfortunate this is how we learn.

First of all, the link in post Number 1 is not the G&F report, it is a reporter's interpretation of the 34 page report. I know, I know, maybe I am being picky, but I would rather form my opinion on the situation after reading the actual report.

ClearCreek

Lots of "woulda, coulda, shouldas", but just such a tragic event. How many times do we put ourselves in somewhat dangerous positions in the outdoors, but everything ends up ok. Over time, you get a little too confident, complacent. I know that I have been guilty of it.

Very hard story to read, especially with the fact that the guide had 5 kids. Thoughts and prayers with everyone involved

Very tough read. The client not having his bear spray on him seems just stupid. I’m new to bear country, but when I’m out I keep my bear spray on my chest, and make sure at least one other person I’m with has spray as well. I’ve noticed a lot of people who have been here for a while seem to be prett complacent and can’t be bothered to carry their spray. But, a lot of people I know don’t hunt, so it may not be as much of a concern.

I find myself making the same mistake as the guide with my pistol. I haven’t found a good set up that allows for an easy transition from keeping the gun on my pack, to keeping it somewhere on my person when I take the pack off. But, I do always keep a round chambered.

Bear spray in one's pack is a lot like a life jacket in the storage locker. I've fished out several people that kept their life jackets in their Duluth packs. They were lucky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back