Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Report on Idaho Sheep Hunt part 2

T Bone

No I didn't kill a Ram.....

Heres the details.

October 6th - drive from Reno to Nampa to make a pitstop, then drive on to Challis and then to the Crags Campground trailhead. Funny thing, my pickup is the ONLY one there. I sleep a few hours and wakeup at daybreak.

Oct 7th. Backpack (75 pound pack) to Parrot Lake, 14 miles in. Feet hurt, one small blister on each foot.

Oct 8th Weather hot. Backpack two more drainages in. While crossing a high saddle I stop and glass and spot a lone ram bedded about a mile away. I change my plans and put a sneak on the ram. Ram is smart, he is bedded in the middle of 20 acres of shale. Stalk is not so sneaky. I didn't even have a chance. I ran out of water halfway through. With a blown stalk, no water and darkness coming on fast I head toward a little side drainage that the map shows has water. I get there at dark and its bone dry.... Nice I set up the tent and sleep.

Oct 9th I wake up very dry. Feet swollen up freakishly big. I cram them into boots and head up and over to the nearest water. Keep in mind this is huge country. Reach water about noon. I take a break and drink and eat and soak feet for a few hours. Feet normal sized again. I head for my planned base camp site. On the way I spot 5 sheep about 300 yards away feeding. One ram about 2/3 curl. I get closer to make sure I'm not missing something. At 40 yards I determine I can't pull the trigger. I snap a photo of him. Cold front blows in and it get freaking COLD!

Oct 10th - Night was clear and cold and miserable. Slept cold. At daybreak clouds come in and it warms up enough to snow 5 inches. I spot a bruiser ram about 3/4 mile away bedded on this finger ridge that extends like a bench into the big valley. The only way to get close to him is to get on the same finger ridge he is on. Half day stalk later and I am within 100 yards of where I last saw him. Wind in my face, flurries of snow. One step, glass, step glass. I see butt and horns about 60 yards down hill bail off the edge. He had moved off the ridge to get out of the wind. I try to follow him in the snow but he gets into the cliffs and its too dangerous. He was full curl, still had his lamb tips. Crap crap crap crap crap. Go to bed.

Oct 11th. Night cleared off again and was stinking cold. Creek is frozen over. At daybreak clouds roll in and it warms up and snows. I glass and hike, glass and hike, glass and hike, glass and hike thinking with the snow I'll easily pick up sheep or sheep tracks. I see nothing but goats. All day. Build a fire to get dried out before bed.

Oct 12th I slept warmer as it didn't clear off. But I wake up to 14 inches of snow....HMMM....I'm 19 miles from my truck by myself...and its still snowing...It clears for a bit and I glass. Nothing it seems everything has moved down towards the river. I have one day remaining of season..If I go down toward the river I'm afraid I won't be able to get back up and over the top. I consider the options and decide to call it a hunt. I head out and it was slow going. I took a few real good headers. I get to Ship Island Lake (trail) at 3 pm soaked head to toe from snow and sweat. Wind blowing hard and snow falling. Still have 12 miles to go. I either need to build a fire and get dry or keep plugging. I keep plugging and constantly gnaw on Clif bars and trail mix. No tracks, human or big game on the trails. Big game moved down, hunters smart enough not to hunt in here this late. It gets dark and cold. I am pooped out and recognize my brain is shutting down. I keep my headlight on the trail and keep plugging through the falling snow. I'm not feeling so keen, sick to my stomach, legs cramping. At 11:00 PM I find myself standing in front of my truck! It starts and I know I'll be OK. I get in and drive to Rigby and crash my folks' house. Hot shower and hot food.

There you have the details of the hunt. I'm glad I went back the second time. It was kind of satisfying to do it alone. Even though I didn't kill a ram I felt like I gave it my all....

As soon as my legs heal up I'll be hitting the hills for Chuckar. I took several pics and if the film didn't get ruined from the cold I'll post them when developed.

T-bone.. YOU left out the Part about coming through Boise and seeing ME on your way out !!
biggrin.gif

You're DA MAN... I'm not tough enough to do something like that Solo. I'll be the First to admit it. Glad you're back safe BUD !!!

T-Bone,
I was all ready to get back from my trip so I could tell you where 4 rams were. Two of the rams would of made book easy, and the thing about them they were five miles from campground and in a drainage you could have gotten close enough to have taken a bow shot on.
I got back the sixth gave the wife and kids a hug, fired up the puter just in time to find you leaving. I thought I was the only one with that kind of luck.
Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

T-Bone, way to go. It takes a special mix of insanity and determination, too take on something like that on your own. Glad you made it back in one piece. I read you guys have some of the best chukar hunting around. Bust them up good, when you feel better, Good Luck, JLG.

Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound 'cause from the sounds of things it could have turned out much different.

Too bad you didn't get your ram but few people could say they have been through and done the things you have.

credit to you T-Bone, sounds like you had a hard but good time. going it solo brings out the best of you, if you can overcome doubting your sanity..welldone..ds

T Bone,

I give you all the credit in the world.

Takes nuggets to pull that off. Sorry you didn't connect, but I'll bet you never forget it either.

Epic Adventure!!!!

T-Bone, just think, you will never have an outdoor challenge that you will ever wonder if you can pull it off. That country will definitely test you, and you passed.

Keep sending the lottery applications in, and you'll get it again. Great adventure, and thanks for sharing the pain with us.

T Bone,

Great hunts, both parts one and two. Glad to hear you went back for round two. When you someday get your ram, and you will, you will most certainly have deserved him. Good luck with the chukars and keep on putting in for sheep!

Paul

WOW,

You are one tough SOB!

What an anventure just reading both parts of this story.

Thanks for sharing the good and the bad.
You DESERVE a big daddy sheep so keep putting in for it!

T-Bone YOUR THE MAN ! If I had anything to do over in my life I would like to know more about survieal in the wilderness. Great story and sounds to me like you can handle about any situation and then know when to walk away.Bill

T-bone.... I'm just reminding you what you've embarked upon this time again.

Let's not be cold together :D

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back