PEAX Equipment

Replacing Stock on Rem 700

smalls

I brought home my dad's Rem 700 BDL this weekend as a gift from him. I don't think the rifle has dimpled a primer in 15 years. It is wearing its original BDL wood with a hinged floor plate. I attempted to disassemble it to clean it tonight and it took way more persuading to remove the barrel/action from the stock than I'd like with the lug being very stubborn. I'm not sure if the wood has swelled/warped or if it's a function of a poor bedding job.

Regardless, I'm leaning towards replacing the old wood stock with a composite. After some short googling, I realize pricing can range from a couple hundred dollars to over a grand. Any insight as to what would be considered a good "value" replacement stock? Is there anything else I should consider replacing/upgrading at the same time?

Magpul Hunter gets very good marks, but as with lots of Magpul stuff, the look is unique. I have not personally handled one so I can not speak to it's ergonomics. Bell and Carlson also offer up very nice composite/fiberglass stocks at reasonable prices. I have on a Sako and love it. A hunting buddy put one on a Rem700 and loves it as well.

Do you have a gunsmith that can do a good bedding job?

I have Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks on a couple M700 and a Model Seven and love them. I usually find them on sale at Stockystocks.com. The grip and forend size feels perfect.

Bell and Carlson Alaskan TI is what I have on my 700 since it's primarily a hunting gun and I wanted lightweight. They run about $260. If it's going to be a range gun mostly, I'd look hard at the Magpul Hunter which is also about the same price. I also have a Boyd's laminate I got for the 700 a while back which is the best value stock out there, especially if you bed it. It'll be a little less susceptible to swelling and warping than normal wood, but I wouldn't take it out in the elements without sealing it up well.

Last edited:
A well bedded stock WILL be hard to remove! I have 3 synthetic stocked Remington's and an older Remington Model 660 with glass bedding. All are more difficult to remove than stocks where the recoil lug is set into wood or on injection molded synthetic stocks. This may be the case, or it may be a case of something else.

My selection process would be influenced by how I planned to used the gun in the future. I have a Boyd's synthetic stock. I like it, but its on a heavy barreled 22 that is a bench gun. I would not recommend them for a walk around gun as mine is a tank; pretty, but a tank nonetheless! I prefer lighter weight guns, but know that this is a personal choice.

If you are going to use it for a hunter, then it is hard to beat a composite stock. I am not one who ogles over nice wood, but look at a rifle as a tool. If you want to keep it as is, because it was your dad's, then just make sure it is well-bedded and leave it at that.

I have a Bell and Carlson that I bought used for $130 that is a great stock-but a bit heavy. McMillan is kind of the Cadillac and priced accordingly. There are several good choices, depending on what you want to spend.

I replaced my cracked original 700 ADL stock with a Hogue over-molded full bed stock 10 yrs ago.
Love it. Less than $200 and indestructable.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back