Yeti GOBOX Collection

replacing a Browning Citori stock

AlaskaHunter

After 38 years of chukar hunting in rocks, rock ptarmigan on steep slopes, blue grouse hunting on steep avalanche shoots, and may falls in icy conditions, my 1984 Browning Citori stock is toast.
I fell yesterday on a steep icy slope and fell today with 2 inches of fresh snow over ice. The missing part is lost somewhere in the snow in Montana.
broken_stock.jpg
I ordered a replacement stock...will I need a gunsmith to inlet fit to the receiver?

After 38 years of chukar hunting in rocks, rock ptarmigan on steep slopes, blue grouse hunting on steep avalanche shoots, and may falls in icy conditions, my 1984 Browning Citori stock is toast.
I fell yesterday on a steep icy slope and fell today with 2 inches of fresh snow over ice. The missing part is lost somewhere in the snow in Montana.
View attachment 252880
I ordered a replacement stock...will I need a gunsmith to inlet fit to the receiver?
Damn, that was a bad fall. Like you I’m closer to the end than the beginning. I gave up chukar hunting in the snow. Fell and broke my leg. Another of our group broke an ankle a year or two later. I hope you weren’t hurt. Can’t answer your question otherwise. Good luck.

Too bad about your fall.

I like to tinker with wood, and have fit, inleted, finsihed, and checkered maybe a dozen stocks. I also have a 1985ish Citori that I have had the stock off about a half dozen times to replace springs, firing pins, etc, so I would probably put the new stock on myself. I don't think that it would be too difficult.

Too bad about your fall.

I like to tinker with wood, and have fit, inleted, finsihed, and checkered maybe a dozen stocks. I also have a 1985ish Citori that I have had the stock off about a half dozen times to replace springs, firing pins, etc, so I would probably put the new stock on myself. I don't think that it would be too difficult.
Yes my post-season ritual is to take the stock off and clean the firing pin channels as I use that Citori hunting water fowl in Alaska
and then upland/waterfowl in Montana. I did order a hex head stock bolt as that original stock slotted head was always a hassle with a super long screw driver.

Yes my post-season ritual is to take the stock off and clean the firing pin channels as I use that Citori hunting water fowl in Alaska
and then upland/waterfowl in Montana. I did order a hex head stock bolt as that original stock slotted head was always a hassle with a super long screw driver.
I like your idea of a hex head stock bolt. Even a phillips head would be better than that slotted head.

I like your idea of a hex head stock bolt. Even a phillips head would be better than that slotted head.
The other potential problem is the inletting on stock for trigger guard...there are 3 different
length tangs depending on the Citori model. (Mine is a long tang trigger guard).
If the replacement stock is for a short tang trigger guard, it will cost me another $60 to
order a new trigger guard.

Good question for Browning when you order the new stock.

Cutting out the wood from a short tang for a long tang would not be difficult. A sharp exacto knife and a sharp 1/4" wood chisel would easily do the job.

My wife's citori stock chipped pretty bad upon just closing the action one day a couple years back. they told me to send them the gun and they would fix it but I never did send it to them.

The replacement stock is a used stock coming from EBay.

If it does not fit, I will return it and go with plan B.
Plan B is a new stock from Midwest Gunworks.
They have stocks by year range:
Pre Type 1: Manufactured 1973 through 1976
Type 1: Manufactured 1977 Only
Type 2: Manufactured 1978 through 1982
Type 3: Manufactured 1983 through present
525/625: Manufactured 2002 through 2015

So since my Citori was from 1984, it is Type 3 stock.

Got a Citori stock from EBay, but did not come close to fitting since my Citori is 1984 vintage.
Spent $279 for a field grade stock from Midwest.

Took the stock to S&S here in Polson who will fit and glass bed the stock to the receiver.
I was impressed with S&S, they do lots of high end stocks: Finished Projects -

In the meantime I have a 20 gauge 1984 Citori and my waterfowl gun (Winchester SX4) for skeet and hunting.

At one point I remember seeing some synthetic stocks for browining but its been a while

Back