Renting optics??

WyOpitz

I've been looking at upgrading my binoculars and also purchasing a spotting scope. I have to say the Vortex Razor binos are an amazing piece of glass. Anyways my budget won't allow for both right now. I found you can rent optics. I found www.optics4rent.com and www.westernhuntrentals.com. Looks like you can rent some amazing Swarovski or Nikon glass for a pretty reasonable rate. Has anyone done this or had any experience with renting optics from other sources? It would be nice to have good glass to hunt with and give me another year to save.

Red Flag! Red Flag!

Looking at the second webiste you linked, when looking at the optics and rates they have. Their rates are Way higher than I'd ever be willing to pay for renting optics. Look at the Range Finder. It's a $250 range finder and they wand 1/3 of purchase price for a 14 day rental. That's like paying $8,000 to rent a truck for 14 days. I couldn't find rates on the first site with all the swaros, but I would bet they are outrageously expensive as well.

I would recommend getting the binos and wait a year on a good spotter. And keep your ear to the ground for a good condition used spotting scope here. I've been trying to justify upgrading spotting scopes for the last 3-4 years. Hasn't happened yet. In all likelihood, you'll use the binos way more than the spotter. I know that I do.

Westernhuntrentals is a friend of mine, he also has hunthardcore.com which he sells from and may rent from too though I'm not sure. Dan is a stand up guy and a passionate OYO hunter. I know if he has bino's you may be interested in he'll send them with just a card to hold, or at least he used to. May be worth a call anyway to see what he's got.

I agree with MKotur325, for sure bino's first and foremost. The lower % of time I spend looking through a spotter vs bino's keeps me completely satisfied with my old spotter.

It's unfortunate that some do just what John said. Thankfully I'm not "bling'd" out with fancy stuff and don't look like I'm sponsored :D

I don't think that would be a good idea for me. It would only make me want what I can't have…..even more. Plus, then I would truly know how poor the one I have are. :W:
I don't think that I have ever even looked through binos or a spotter that cost more than $100.00. I should probably keep it that way.

Look into the Theron lines from Predator Optics. I recently got the Theron Wapiti 10x42 binos and the Saker spotter and they are amazing glass and a really awesome price point. They will rival anything 3 times the price.

I've looked at the Theron lines. Very tempting with amazing reviews with the cost curve. I just don't want to buy something twice, like buy a compact vortex or nikon that I really want later. Maybe Schmalts has a demo he'll sell me though! lol

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back