Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Vortx High Country Tripod: Pan Head Conversion or New Tripod?

Beau_G

This was my first year hunting with a spotting scope and it really came in handy! I'm using a Vortex Razor HD on top of the High Country tripod.

I was super impressed with the optics on the Razor HD spotter, but the High Country tripod has its drawbacks. First off, it's a little flimsy and is too short for me to comfortably glass while standing up (I'm 6'3"). I can live with both of those things since the tripod is light. The one thing that drives me nuts is the ball head. It's a PITA to make minor adjustments while glassing.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation to upgrade my tripod setup. Should I simply replace the ball head with a pan head? If so, which one? Or, should I be looking for a new tripod all together? I'd like to keep the recommendations limited to budget-friendly options. (Heads around $50, New tripods < $200)

Thanks,
Beau

I’d replace the whole tripod if it is flimsy. GoHunt has some really good deals on tripod head combos. Sirui VA5 head is like butter. Use code Randy save 10%

Thanks for the recommendations! I should mention that I'm not married to Vortex and can certainly be persuaded to checkout other brands!

I would move to a decent pan head first, Sirui or Manfrotto. See how much difference that makes for you, that way you can isolate the variables. If you then decide to replace the legs with something higher end, you'll already have a decent head to put on them.

This was my first year hunting with a spotting scope and it really came in handy! I'm using a Vortex Razor HD on top of the High Country tripod.

I was super impressed with the optics on the Razor HD spotter, but the High Country tripod has its drawbacks. First off, it's a little flimsy and is too short for me to comfortably glass while standing up (I'm 6'3"). I can live with both of those things since the tripod is light. The one thing that drives me nuts is the ball head. It's a PITA to make minor adjustments while glassing.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation to upgrade my tripod setup. Should I simply replace the ball head with a pan head? If so, which one? Or, should I be looking for a new tripod all together? I'd like to keep the recommendations limited to budget-friendly options. (Heads around $50, New tripods < $200)

Thanks,
Beau
I have the same setup, I very rarely use it standing! I like the ball head for glassing since I have a angled 11x33x50 spotter. I’m interested in Vortex’s new lineup coming out early next year.

I'd do exactly what @SnowyMountaineer recommended as well. I have the Vortex SS Summit tripod and have the same issues you are having. I recently got a Leupold tripod that was free with a rebate and it has the fluid panhead (I think that is what its called) and it is really nice. If you are on a budget i'd replace the head first. That makes more of a difference for me then being able to stand and glass.

I have the same setup, I very rarely use it standing! I like the ball head for glassing since I have a angled 11x33x50 spotter. I’m interested in Vortex’s new lineup coming out early next year.
I also have an angled spotter, but mine is 22-48x65mm. What do you like about the ball head on the High Country? I find it very hard to make small, smooth adjustments!

I'd do exactly what @SnowyMountaineer recommended as well. I have the Vortex SS Summit tripod and have the same issues you are having. I recently got a Leupold tripod that was free with a rebate and it has the fluid panhead and it is really nice. If you are on a budget i'd replace the head first. That makes more of a difference for me then being able to stand and glass.
I agree! Most of the time I can just sit down to glass, so height isn't a deal breaker for me. The ability to smoothly glass is, however!

Free Leupold tripod, you say? I think that's within my budget!

I agree! Most of the time I can just sit down to glass, so height isn't a deal breaker for me. The ability to smoothly glass is, however!

Free Leupold tripod, you say? I think that's within my budget!
Hahah yeah there was a rebate running if you bought the BX 5 Santium's you could get their tripod free. @schmalts gave me a hell of a deal on the binos where I couldn't pass it up but I think that rebate is done now....

I have the same scope and looked at both the High Country and the Pro GT tripods. Went with the Pro GT due to it being far more stable and still pretty light. Been very happy with it so far. I also have an attachment so that I can use the tripod as a gun rest as well. Has the quick-connect on it so I can easily and quickly switch from the scope to the gun rest without have to unscrew anything.

I have the same scope and looked at both the High Country and the Pro GT tripods. Went with the Pro GT due to it being far more stable and still pretty light. Been very happy with it so far. I also have an attachment so that I can use the tripod as a gun rest as well. Has the quick-connect on it so I can easily and quickly switch from the scope to the gun rest without have to unscrew anything.
I've been eyeing that tripod as a relatively low-priced alternative to the High Country. From specs online, it appears to be >15" taller, with a pan head, but is about 2lbs heavier than the High Country. Would you say that it's a solid tripod that you'll be using for a while? Or is it something that I'd be looking to upgrade after a couple seasons?

I've been eyeing that tripod as a relatively low-priced alternative to the High Country. From specs online, it appears to be >15" taller, with a pan head, but is about 2lbs heavier than the High Country. Would you say that it's a solid tripod that you'll be using for a while? Or is it something that I'd be looking to upgrade after a couple seasons?
Yes, it's definitely solid. It also comes with a hook on the bottom of the center stem that you can hang weight from to make it even more stable. I've found that that's really only needed in extremely windy conditions. I carry an old t-shirt in my pack that I put rocks in and hang from the hook when I need that extra weight stabilization.

I also have an angled spotter, but mine is 22-48x65mm. What do you like about the ball head on the High Country? I find it very hard to make small, smooth adjustments!
I learned from a sheep hunting guide in BC with a angled spotter & ballhead You can just roll the scope from one side of the canyon to the other, up or down side to side.

I learned from a sheep hunting guide in BC with a angled spotter & ballhead You can just roll the scope from one side of the canyon to the other, up or down side to side.
Can you explain this technique a little more? How does the ballhead provide an advantage over a pan head?

I have a Razor 16-48x65 on the High Country tripod and have no issues with the ball head. I hold the tripod like a pistol grip with the web of my thumb under the knob that loosens the plate.
I don't know if that method works for others, but I'm able to easily make small adjustments with it.

I’m not sure if mine is technically a pan or ball head, but I like the way it works. Using the “screw” feature on the hand lever, I can loosen the tension so it acts like a ball head where it can move both vertically and horizontally. Or I can leave the hand lever screw tight, and loosen another clamp screw on the vertical shaft so that it only pans with no vertical movement. Vortex calls it “3 way pan”, for whatever that’s worth.

Last edited:
Can you explain this technique a little more? How does the ballhead provide an advantage over a pan head?
Best way I can explain it is to start with my angled spotter eye piece up, when moving right to Left I roll the spotter over. The ball head has to be tight enough to roll, but not loose enough to flop around! It’s easier said than to explain. It just takes a little practice.

So, I planned to take @SnowyMountaineer 's advice and start by getting a solid panhead. Surprisingly, a Suriu VA-5 Panhead was almost the same price, with or without a tripod, on GoHunt.com. My buddy has this exact setup and he said it is really solid, and probbaly a significant upgrade to the High Country. I went ahead and ordered it using the RANDY 10% promo code (thanks again @SnowyMountaineer ).

https://shop.gohunt.com/collections...i-t-004sk-va-5-fluid-head-aluminum-tripod-kit

The specs on GoHunt have it listed at 3.5lbs, which is more than a pound lighter than the Vortex Pro GT! But now I'm wondering if that weight might have been the tripod alone, not including the head. I'll report back when I receive it. Thanks for the recommendations here!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back