PEAX Equipment

Removing brain

50bowhunter

Does anyone have any quick tricks for removing the brain to make for legal transport? I just want to get the brain out and finish the skull when I get home.

Skin the skull. Remove they eyes and ear canal (for latter check out videos on line). Cut off a heavy piece of wire (nine gauge?) about ten inches long and bend a 1.5" loop on one end. Lock the other end in electric drill. Insert loop end into brain cavity and suck out brain AT SLOW SPEED (or you'll be wearing gray matter). Then use high pressure hose to clean out the rest (sneak into a car wash late at night). You should probably cook the skull some before pressure hose if possible. Don't boil it, just simmer.

The analog version I've used is a large tent stake or nail spike. A fresh brain is easily broken up and then scraped out with the head of the nail.

I had a lot of luck with coat hanger wire. I just use a sawzall and cut a small chunk off the back of the skull to give better access. You will never see it on a euro mount on a wall. Remove the eyes and as much tissue as possible. Also in many states make sure you remove the tongue as it's also required. A garden hose can get you through in a pinch too. It really doesn't take long at all.

For my trip this fall I'm bringing a sous vide machine. I will have access to an outlet (buddies house) for a day before I leave so I can leave the skull over night in a cooler, then take it to a car wash and pressure wash it. Basically will have a mostly complete euro before leaving.

If you're staying in an airbnb or motel it's a great option.

Deer or elk? Deer skulls can be placed in a large garbage bag and then stick the pressure washer in the brain cavity. Hold the black bag around the pressure washer wand and give it a few bursts. It’ll clean it real quick and then just toss the bag. Avoids any mess on you or the surrounding area. Doesn’t take much water to get it cleaned.

For my trip this fall I'm bringing a sous vide machine. I will have access to an outlet (buddies house) for a day before I leave so I can leave the skull over night in a cooler, then take it to a car wash and pressure wash it. Basically will have a mostly complete euro before leaving.

If you're staying in an airbnb or motel it's a great option.
I have been converted to the sous vide and a plastic wash tub. Once cooked, a garden hose is more than enough to wash the brain out. Last time I put washing soda in the mix and everything except bone dissolved away.

Pressure washer and a good face mask........ the pink blowback is bad
Might as well do it when its fresh it only gets worse

@fowladdict
lost a game of rock, paper, scissors and took a walk from the car wash to the hotel because he was covered in chunks of grey matter. At least it wasn't rotten.

Last edited:
This past year I boiled my deer skull in camp, then used a long, flathead screwdriver to scrape around in the brain cavity. Took a little while, but did a fine job and made me legal to reenter my home state.

Deer or elk? Deer skulls can be placed in a large garbage bag and then stick the pressure washer in the brain cavity. Hold the black bag around the pressure washer wand and give it a few bursts. It’ll clean it real quick and then just toss the bag. Avoids any mess on you or the surrounding area. Doesn’t take much water to get it cleaned.
Well, that is interesting.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back